Supermicro cooling

Hi guys,

I just got a great deal on a Supermicro X8STi motherboard (LGA 1366, DDR3 max 24GB) which i plan on using for a ESXi server.

I got this for £39.99 delivered but they also included a Quad Xeon E5530 and some thermal paste.

Now, im looking for a 1U heatsink/fan. I have saw some 1U supermicro heatsinks on ebay for about £10 each, will this be enough on its own to cool the CPU or do i need aditional case fans?

The board will be installed in a Supermicro 1U case.
I would like the server to be as quiet as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Generally the 1U heatsinks have a plastic duct that funnels two 40mm fans over the heatsink,

The 40 mm fans are what make the servers so dang loud.

Are you asking if you can passively cool that CPU in that a 1U case? If so, I would think that you'll hit thermal shutdown in short order, especially under any kind of load.
You'll need some sort of decent airflow over it - you may be able to get away with some fans that aren't as loud, but you're pretty limited in a 1U case. If you're looking to go quiet, get at least a 2U case so you can use larger fans.

Bit of an update.

I've decided to install this board in a 2U server case to give me extra room for a suitable heatsink/fan and also room for drives etc rather than a cramped 1u supermicro case as it would only fit 1 drive.

So, im now on the lookout for a reletavly quiet but decent cooling 2u heatsink/fan (LGA1366)

The board can take 6 x 4GB DDR3 sticks, i've just ordered 1 x 4GB stick just to get this board up and running, plus ordered a backplate which i'll install along with the board when i get it.

Any advice on components etc much appreciated!!

Just ordered this CPU cooler, looks like its perfect for Xeon's according to the reviews!

Intel STS100C Thermal Solution (Combo) for Xeon 5xxx Series (Socket 1366) Processors

Back