SuperMicro and IWILL

Pack Rat 24

Limp Gawd
Could anybody suggest a dual Xeon motherboard from either one of these companies? I was told in another forum that a certain Video Editing Program (Video Toaster [3]) works the best on dual Xeon mobos from Super Micro and IWILL...

Any help would be great...Thanks!

IMHO, you really should look at a Supermicro board... the X5DAL-TG2 looks very good! I've the X5DAL-G and it is rock solid stable. ;)

Without an add-in controller card.... 50- and 68-pin SCSI and IDE drives. You could also pop in an SATA card too...if you couldn't satisfy your hunger for storage. :D

Hey, thanks for the help...I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it would take, lol...I would have a tower of hot-swap HDD's that go with this, but I figured I would need a system drive...or would I be ok with just the tower o power, lol

Originally posted by jen4950
X5DA8 is expensive but righteous.

Much love for the X5DA8. Supermicro makes what I've found to be perhaps the best packaged, best supported, most stable boards around.

Originally posted by Pack Rat 24
Hey, thanks for the help...I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it would take, lol...I would have a tower of hot-swap HDD's that go with this, but I figured I would need a system drive...or would I be ok with just the tower o power, lol

Well the X5 (as with every onboard SCSI mobo I've seen) doesn't have an external SCSI connector so you'd need an add-in board. Or you could run a long internal cable out a pci slot hole I suppose.

I built a system using the X5DA8 not too long ago. It is an awesome board, with the most comprehensive package I have ever seen. it comes with sleeved case fans, heatsinks, all kinds of connectors, etc. Only thing is, its picky with ram. I put some generic ECC in there and had nothing but problems. Then I put in a stick of Corsair ECC and it ran flawlessly. I have much love for this board :)

Originally posted by saturnine2
I built a system using the X5DA8 not too long ago. It is an awesome board, with the most comprehensive package I have ever seen. it comes with sleeved case fans, heatsinks, all kinds of connectors, etc. Only thing is, its picky with ram. I put some generic ECC in there and had nothing but problems. Then I put in a stick of Corsair ECC and it ran flawlessly. I have much love for this board :)

Case fans?? I got no such case fans :(
I did get everything else though and the board rocks....other than 800fsb xeon support (not around yet anyway), perhaps firewire and another nic (none available on a board with 6 dimm slots) there really nothing it doesn't have that I want.

It + the xeons did hurt my wallet though :(

SuperMicro all the way. If you're building a dually system/server, no other way to go IMO.

I'm guessing that's a yes...I guess...I'm not too familiar with them...lol

How easily...is it a BIOS thing or a wire trick, or what?

Originally posted by Pack Rat 24
I'm guessing that's a yes...I guess...I'm not too familiar with them...lol

How easily...is it a BIOS thing or a wire trick, or what?
Sorry, I seem to have misled you... :) Tyan is a solid track record of building server and workstation boards and overclocking is probably the last thing on their engineers' minds... ;) They're like Supermicro. On the other hand, while their BIOSes have little or no options for tweaking, they are far better optimized than the others, so you gain some also. I guess the most you can get in terms of overclocking is getting the FSB from 400MHz (100MHz x 4) to 533MHz (133MHz x 4).

If you want to keep overclocking as an option, check out the IWill DPI-533 (or the DPI-533 SATA). I've got one in my system (see sig) and it works quite nicely. I don't know how it compares to SuperMicro or Tyan though, as I've never owned either of those.

Originally posted by rolo
If you want to keep overclocking as an option, check out the IWill DPI-533 (or the DPI-533 SATA). I've got one in my system (see sig) and it works quite nicely. I don't know how it compares to SuperMicro or Tyan though, as I've never owned either of those.
The S-ATA controller makes the DPI533-SATA a lot more sensitive to overclocking that the vanilla DPI533... ;)

Back