Supermicro 846 SQ PSU compatibility

med

n00b
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this before, just a shot in the dark. I've contacted Supermicro support, I'll see if they can get back to me on this.

Basically, I'm looking to use one of the SQ-series PSUs (e.g. PWS-920P-SQ, PWS-1K28P-SQ
or PWS-1K41P-SQ) in my 846E16-R1200B chassis.

I have acquired a PWS-1K28P-SQ, and while it is the same dimensions as the PWS-1K21P-1R it came with, the SQ PSU ultimately doesn't seat into the slot. I took a look at the receiving end and the PDB (power distribution board?) is labeled PDB PT846-8824.

Looks like the board and contacts on the SQ-series PSUs is about 1/2" wider than the stock power supply, a detail I hadn't noticed before.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to swap the PDB for one that accepts SQ-series PSUs? Any idea what part number this would be?

If anyone has a similar 846 configuration with SQ-series PSUs, I'd be grateful for a pic of the PDB that is used there.

Thanks

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this before, just a shot in the dark. I've contacted Supermicro support, I'll see if they can get back to me on this.

Basically, I'm looking to use one of the SQ-series PSUs (e.g. PWS-920P-SQ, PWS-1K28P-SQ
or PWS-1K41P-SQ) in my 846E16-R1200B chassis.

I have acquired a PWS-1K28P-SQ, and while it is the same dimensions as the PWS-1K21P-1R it came with, the SQ PSU ultimately doesn't seat into the slot. I took a look at the receiving end and the PDB (power distribution board?) is labeled PDB PT846-8824.

Looks like the board and contacts on the SQ-series PSUs is about 1/2" wider than the stock power supply, a detail I hadn't noticed before.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to swap the PDB for one that accepts SQ-series PSUs? Any idea what part number this would be?

If anyone has a similar 846 configuration with SQ-series PSUs, I'd be grateful for a pic of the PDB that is used there.

Thanks

Just a follow-up for posterity, I came across some good information.
The PWS-920P-SQ will work with the PDB PT846-8824 according to random dudes on the internet as well as Supermicro support.
PWS-1K28P-SQ and PWS-1K41P-SQ require the PDB-PT846-2824 board. Prices for PDB parts were surprisingly high (hundreds of dollars) so I decided to just go with the direct-swap and use a PWS-920P-SQ.

Cheers

Back