SuperFetch working?

Syndicated_Death

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently built a new machine and put vista on it. I also converted my older computer to vista as well. so it's been about a month now that I've been running vista. Superfetch IS enabled and I'm not noticing it using any more memory than XP would. soooo what gives? anyone have any ideas on this?

If you open the Task Manager, "Performance" tab, you can see SuperFetch at work. Look under "Physical Memory (MB)" and note the "Cached" line. This line should be almost all your memory that is not being used. "Free" memory values of less than 5MB are common and desirable; it means SuperFetch is working.

in the windows gadget that shows memory and cpu usage shouldn't it also show cached memory being used? not specifically but in total memory used.

It doesn't show cache memory because it can just drop that at any time with no ill effects. It would be fairly meaningless if it did include it, in fact, since pretty much any Vista machine with SuperFetch enabled will have under 100MB free RAM at all times, unless SuperFetch is in the process of building the cache.

Back