Superfetch or Sysmain in Win 10

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I had this problem for over two years I had no idea what was going on when the PC goes in standby mode. The HDD drives in my system would grind like crazy the led light for my case would be solid red and the 6TB drives I had were making so much noise I had to put my games back on my 3TB drives because I didn't know what was going on the grinding sound is really noticeable it's causes by this Windows 10 program running called Superfetch but Microsoft renamed recently to Sysmain. I never disabled it before but now if I let my PC run while downloads are happening nothing is grinding. Basically I think this program exists to get everyone to buy SSD drives and making them think their HDD drives are inferior.

Here is a simple video on how to disable it and to think I almost pulled the plug on some 2TB Samsungs glad I didn't.
I'll wait till 4TB SSDs are under 200.00.

Last edited:
Going to transfer 3/4 of my Steam games back to my 6TB drive hoping it goes well this time and no grinding. I would just hate seeing my 3TB drive like half full and 2TB SSDs are just a ripoff all I would use them for is faster loading times I already have X3 1TB Samsungs two of which I paid 200.00 for a year and a half ago one I got for 129.00 or something.

I moved my old Steam games that don't need a ssd drive. It was the Superfetch bug glitching them out.

Sometimes when my system isn't doing anything, the HDDs are just grinding away. Is that caused by Superfetch? I've had my current install since January, and yes, some software has been updated. Still, by now, shouldn't the Windows cache be stable?

Yep that is the problem superfetch or sysmain just speeds up the drive and grinds in standby mode until you move the mouse or something.

Last edited:
I must admit I usually switch it off. I think its a remanent of Vista. Windows 10 has lots of other new cacheing and memory management features that do help but this one is a crude holdover.

Back