Super zoom recommendations?

HeavensCloud

Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo
I'm looking to upgrade from my aging SD870 IS and get a larger camera. I'm not yet ready for DSLR, but I want to be able to expand my zoom. I have been researching this for probably 30 hours and can't make a decision. My girl is having our first child and the SD870 IS has horrible low light so this will be for that as well.

I like the features of the Fujifilm HS10 and HS20 but the build quality is generally crap and I don't want to risk it so those are out.

I love the looks of the Panasonic DMC-FZ100 but the new MOS sensor has some issues that need to be worked out. I would go for the FZ40 but I want to be able to do 1080 recording.

The Nikon P500 looks solid, great reviews.

The Sony DSC-HX100v looks great, I'm afraid of all the overpriced proprietary crap I will have to get for it though. It will already be at least $30 more than the Nikon, which isn't a big deal though.

Does anyone have any experience or know-how on any of these?

I picked up the Panasonic DMC-FZ100K for my sister-in-law.

It works great for what it is. I don't particularly care for the default ISO values it uses in low light situations as it tends to be grainy... of course that may also be partly due to the default quality settings. I haven't messed with it a lot, but when we first got it I did a little bit of testing.

Despite the default ISO grain in low light, it takes very good pics in low light. If it were my camera I would probably set the ISO a bit lower to get rid of the graininess. That one change would make it an excellent all around point-and-shoot..... which is probably already is, but I am very very picky. (I switched my DSLR to RAW shooting because it is higher quality then the default jpeg recording.)

The zoom is awesome and it takes macros pictures awesome as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180330

I've got a Pentax K10D DSLR camera that I picked up a few years ago. I got tired of point-and-shoot camera quality and limitations. Even though the K10D is now where near what the new Pentax DSLR cameras can do, I still love it and will get another Pentax when this one breaks or I need to upgrade.

Do you really need that much zoom? You will sacrifice image sharpness on the corners and edges, and pictures will be more grainy and soft at all ISOs because a really small sensor will be used (not good for low light shots).

Since these cameras are around the $400 mark, I'd suggest you look at the Canon S95. Much sharper shots than the P500 for instance, better high ISO pictures, wider aperture for low light photos. The S95 is very small, so easier to carry it around everywhere and get candid shots of your kid. Sorry not a super zoom, but had to make the suggestion.

I agree.. the S95 is great if you need a little bit more reach the Canon G12 is nice too...

Didn't want to start a new thread, hoping OP won't mind if I ask a question here as well.
I am also in the market for a super zoon, however I can't do the 399 stuff. I am looking for something in the 200-300 range. Having highest zoom, megapixels isn't my priority, IQ is my priority and low light performance.
What are some that you guys can recommend? Is the L120 any good from Nikon?
I am coming up from a Canon SD300 lol

I would go for the Canon G12 if you're looking for a camera to bridge the gap between dSLR and P/S. Although all of the controls aren't exactly setup in the same locations as a dSLR, if you choose to you can learn all of the basics on it (aperture, shutter speed, iso.) If not, then you can just leave it in auto all the time... It also has a lens that does the equivalent of 28-140mm, which is a pretty wide range of focal lengths.

The g12 has incredible reviews. I ended up with the Sony, and right after I bought it at BB it came in stock at newegg with no tax. Very happy with my decision regardless.

I suggest finding all cameras in your price range and going to flickr and comparing actual picks. Coincidentally the Sony I got had a very nice cmos sensor that does great in low light.

At your price range a travel zoom might suit you more.

Oxymoron. Either zoom or IQ. Pick one.

Also, don't go with Nikon.

Oh Sorry for that. What I mean to say is that Zoom and MP aren't my priority. I am more concerned about IQ!

G12 seems really expensive though, I was thinking of maybe in the 200-300 range. Hell even 150-200 range would be most idea.

Oh Sorry for that. What I mean to say is that Zoom and MP aren't my priority. I am more concerned about IQ!

G12 seems really expensive though, I was thinking of maybe in the 200-300 range. Hell even 150-200 range would be most idea.

Well, in the world of camera's there is a direct ratio between IQ (as you call it) and cost.

The Canon S95 is an excellent point and shoot with manual controls but it's also still out of your price range. To be honest, with what you want to pay, I'm not sure if you can get the quality that you want unless I'm grossly misinterpreting the level of quality you want/need.

I'll be getting my hands on the Powershot 300 HS this weekend. If I get around to it, I'll post some examples for you.

However, if this is going to be your travel camera, than at $130 you can get Powershot SD1300 IS, which is pretty good at this price. I posted a few examples in this thread.

Last edited:
Well, in the world of camera's there is a direct ratio between IQ (as you call it) and cost.

The Canon S95 is an excellent point and shoot with manual controls but it's also still out of your price range. To be honest, with what you want to pay, I'm not sure if you can get the quality that you want unless I'm grossly misinterpreting the level of quality you want/need.

I think I know what you are getting at. Sorry for being so unclear and throwing a blanket statement.
Let me try to explain myself a bit better.
I want better quality than the ~$150 P&S cameras that you can get from best buy. What would be the best camera in the 150-200 range, and like 200-250ish range?

It isn't much, but here are some PS 300HS samples:

0002wr.jpg

0001hr.jpg

And just because I don't have a color table, this will have to do:
0003kna.jpg

:D

I've only had the camera for a couple of minutes before I handed it over to my sister. It's really a "stupid person" friendly camera. The only option you have is "Auto". With a single button you switch between still and video, and both produce some decent quality results. There's no way for you to customize the camera. Forget about changing ISO, aperture or anything. The camera does everything for you. On/off switch on the strobe is all you can do.

It is somewhat rugged and doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart after 5 minutes. Overall, it seems like a great travel camera for an everyday person.

Back