super quiet fan/heatsink combo

alkaline

Gawd
I have a socket 939 mobo, and i want a super quiet fan/heatsink to put on my processor. size doesnt matter, somewhere around 92mm is cool. any suggestions?

is anyone using the Ninja in a Coolermaster Centurion 5 case?

I'm tired of my XP-90 and want a 120mm offering. Other alternative is the XP-120

Another vote for a Scythe Ninja - which I've used with both the Nexus 120mm super-quiet fans as well as Antec TriCool 120mm fans (at lowest rpm setting). Both are inaudible over the other noises in the case (3 other 120mm fans, plus 3 HD's).

All in all very quiet.

My vote is for the Arctic Cooler 64 Pro. I got the Arctic Cooler Pro 7 for the LGA, and I really like it. I can't hear it over any of my other quiet case fans.

brasherman said:
My vote is for the Arctic Cooler 64 Pro. I got the Arctic Cooler Pro 7 for the LGA, and I really like it. I can't hear it over any of my other quiet case fans.

Don't vote for a fan you have not tried. I had an original series Arctic Cooler 64 which was a great little cooler - and nice and quite. The next revision was noiser and less effective (the pro revision) so your LGA version is by no means a direct comparison to the current revision A64 models.

Considering they look identical except for clips, I think my opinion is valid. I am not discounting anything, he asked for opinions, I gave mine. This is my first *ntel system, so I am no stranger to the AMD cooler market. In fact, it was all the positive reviews for the Freezer 64 and Freezer 64 Pro that convinced me to go with the Pro 7. Since the Prescott runs hotter than any AMD chip I have ever had, I think my Pro 7 does a great job keeping the temps in the same range as the Alpha and Thermalright coolers I have had on my 3000+ spinning six times the RPM.

Remember, he asked for opinions. I also have to admit the Ninja looks like a cool unit too. May have to get one for the media center PC I am going to build if I decide not to go AC on it. Still, $33 is one heck of a deal.

BTW, what were the temp differences between the 64 and the 64 Pro you used?

Back