Super mobile noob, looking for advice

Ryun

Limp Gawd
Today my girlfriend informed me that my 5+ year old feature phone bit the dust today. I had forgotten to take it out of my pocket before she started the wash. No big loss, I was thinking about getting a new phone anyway.

So since smartphones are the new rage, I'm thinking about getting one, though probably for vastly different reasons. I don't want a data plan at all as I don't want to pay for it and I rarely am away from a computer anyway. Also, I only really ever use my cell phone for texting and calling (though only away from my landline).

Oh, and since I've been on a feature phone forever, I don't care about apps. However, the web browser + Wi-Fi from a device that fits in your hand sounds really, really cool.

The phone I'm looking at getting is an unlocked Samsung Focus (a quick google search turns up Focuses in the $250 range).

To give you an idea, I currently (previously?) have a pay as you go "plan" with T-Mobile. Looking at my CC statements, I've been paying $30 / month recently though my usage varies (some months I only pay $15). For $30 I get around 150 minutes, with $0.10 for texts. It's a nice setup since the account balance lasts for a year for me (gold rewards customer) if I don't use them. I've had this setup for at least 8 years now and I'm wondering if there's anything better now.

I see on T-Mobile right now I can get a plan for $15 / month with unlimited texting + $0.10/min voice.

So, onto my questions:
  • Will the Samsung Focus (unlocked) work with T-Mobile?
  • For my usage, anything better than T-Mobile's offerings from another carrier? (Compatible with the samsung focus of course)
  • Is the Samsung Focus compatible with the mango update from microsoft?
  • Do unlocked phones come with a warranty? What's a good place to get unlocked phones?
  • *Stupid Question* The + $0.10/min voice plan from T-Mobile means I pay I always pay $15 / month for voice plus an additional $0.10/min talk time right? You're not getting any "free" minutes with this plan?
  • *Stupid Question* If I want to buy apps later down the road, can I do that without a data plan? You buy it straight from MS, right?
  • Anything else a noob like myself should know but doesn't?

By the way, I live near Philadelphia, PA.

Thank you for helping me out.

Regarding your question on the $15 dollar T-mobile plan. Yes it is only free texting. You have 0 free minutes. Each minute you call is $0.10/min. And I believe they count per minute. So even if you call for 10:01 mins. They will count it as 11 mins.

Back