Super Meat Boy on steam outsells XBLA

defiant007

2[H]4U
http://www.destructoid.com/super-meat-boy-sold-best-on-steam-sold-me-on-larping-195309.phtml

Despite the fact that it hit XBLA first, and launched with an enormous sale, it looks like Super Meat Boy still sold better on Steam. I'm waiting on exact numbers on sales for both platforms, but according to Team Meat's Twitter, "Steam out sold xbla, we have sold about 400k copies to date" and "it also out grossed. before the xmas sale we had made as much in those 2 weeks as we did on xbla".

I think I know what they mean by that, but I'm not sure enough to make any assertions. I will say that anyone who doubted the relevance of PC gaming, or at least Steam as a gaming platform, may need to reevaluate. Now we just need to see if Bit.Trip RUNNER sells better on Steam than on WiiWare.

While I'm being ridiculous, I might as well encourage you to check out this Super Meat Boy LARP video. It's totally a thing.

But but but.....Cliffy B and Cevat Yerli keep telling me that nothing sells well on PC!?!

/head implodes

Surprising for a game which even the developers boast is better played on a gamepad rather than a keyboard.

@tuaarita Did you not see that they matched XBLA sales in two weeks on Steam?

Another reality Cliffy will conveniently ignore

Considering the price difference we've seen on the Steam version of the game compared to it never (to my knowledge) going on sale on XBLA I am not surprised. If XBLA did Steam-caliber sales for many of their downloadable games this would be a whole different story.

I've highlighted the important part for the people who have been saying that this story is irrelevant because it was cheaper on steam due to sales.

"Steam out sold xbla, we have sold about 400k copies to date" and "it also out grossed"

piscian18 said:
No one plays super meat boy on PC anymore.

Are you trolling? It's single player so who cares if anybody else is playing it?

i think many of us just bought it for heck of it during on sale and didn't really play into it :<

I really enjoyed SMB. Ignore the trolls that whine about "graphics" and "it's a glorified flash game", it's a cheap indie title not meant to compete with high-budget titles. I really liked the difficulty curve too, this isn't your casual platformer :D. I bought it on Steam btw (while on sale :p).

i think many of us just bought it for heck of it during on sale and didn't really play into it :<
What you do with the game after buying it is irrelevant to sales talk, right?

I'm not shocked by this news. At all. It's obvious that Steam is a more effective, active digital store than either XBL or PSN. There's tons of sales, tons of promotion, and probably most importantly, the developers/publishers control how their product is marketed and sold, not some team of suits at Redmond.

But but but.....Cliffy B and Cevat Yerli keep telling me that nothing sells well on PC!?!

/head implodes

I've highlighted the important part for the people who have been saying that this story is irrelevant because it was cheaper on steam due to sales.

If it's cheaper and able to move more units due to being a lot cheaper, then they are going to make more because of sheer volume. It's a bigger gamble to release a high end AAA graphical beauty on PC then a low budget indie game (I love the art style!).

I for one don't feel it's irrelevant because I'm glad for Team Meat. Game is awesome. I actually bought it twice. Love the game.

I just recently unlocked the Kid suckas :D

If it's cheaper and able to move more units due to being a lot cheaper, then they are going to make more because of sheer volume. It's a bigger gamble to release a high end AAA graphical beauty on PC then a low budget indie game (I love the art style!).
Bigger gamble, for sure. Arguably the business model is broken and only used because how else can a publically traded publisher satisfy the stockholder demands for quarter on quarter growth? You either swing for the fences with every release and hope for a 5 million seller, or you get bought.

I play this on PC with a 360 controller, fucking awesome really. Do not try to play it after a few beers, though. You will fail.

Probably because everyone got it for two bucks on steam during the holiday sale.

Probably because everyone got it for two bucks on steam during the holiday sale.
smh.

Either people are illiterate or ignorant. First, they straight up said that the PC version outsold the Xbox version BEFORE the $2.50 sale. They then go on to say that the PC version outgrossed the Xbox version.

So, even if it was just because of the $2.50 sale (which it wasn't) the game at $2.50 EARNED MORE than the game did at 1200 Microsoft Points ($15.)

Fuck.

before the xmas sale we had made as much in those 2 weeks as we did on xbla

It made as much on steam as it did on XBLA in little over two weeks before it went on sale. This is the crucial point people seem to be missing. All the other sales made over and above that as a result of insane pricing is just gravy for team meat.

Back