Super Mario Bros turn 30

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
So I was catching up on Halt and Catch Fire (if you don't watch this, you should) and at the end of the episode, I heard Nintendo. This reminded me, Super Mario Bros are turning 30.

A big congratulations to Nintendo.

I would be very surprised if there is anyone on this board who hasn't spent countless hours in one of the SMB games.

I seen the original in the Arcade in the 80s a few years before it hit the NES...

The Arcade screen was very dark nothing like the NES version I played it a few times lets just say the Joystick using the original arcade Joystick was very hard to use while using those big buttons for jumping you just had to be good with it.

I seen the original in the Arcade in the 80s a few years before it hit the NES...

The Arcade screen was very dark nothing like the NES version I played it a few times lets just say the Joystick using the original arcade Joystick was very hard to use while using those big buttons for jumping you just had to be good with it.

Uhh...what?

Uhh...what?

There was a "mario bros" before "Super Mario Bros," and it was released in arcades. Behold:

Nduabs4.gif

I don't think this is the exact version, but I remember they included a version of it in...Mario 3 I think?

Although he did make an appearance before this in Donkey Kong 1981:
Donkey_Kong_arcade.PNG

That was Jumpman. Before he was named Mario.

Then, Mario Bros. Then, the platformer that changed history - Super Mario Bros.

The old Mario Brothers (before "Super") was like a lot of Atari-era games and contained everything in one screen with no scrolling. Kind of like Donkey Kong, Joust, and the like. I never really liked it, but it wasn't horrible.
Super Mario Bros. was something else, though. I remember seeing it a friend's house and just being blown away. I'd played games like Pitfall and Smurf, but that was next-level to be a game that large, fast, and precise. Been a fan of the series ever since. I've owned all of the major releases up through Galaxy. It's only been recently that I've gotten a little bored, but I still loved the reinvented New SMB games.

Back