super light and portable cheaptop

Going along with the thinkpad idea how about an old X20, I picked one up around 6 months ago without a harddrive for right around $100 off ebay. It works great for basic surfing and taking notes.

dang, x20 seems like a much better deal.

i'll look into it.

i've heard that converting a laptop with CF might be bad though because of the rewriting?

can i ask why u want CF cards for a harddrive in the first place? hds are larger and cheaper....and ssds are more expensive and smaller but they are much more larger than a CF card and less expensive..and waaay faster....

i want something light and portable that is very rugged. any time i travel (in africa, asia or south america) my laptop is always with me, bumping into people, being packed on trains, following out of tuk tuks, all sorts of crap.

i live in a constant fear of hd crashes, or just freak accidents - whereas it seems like CF or other SSD will be more rugged and better for what I'm looking to do.

since my work is mostly based in word documents etc - 12 gigs of hard drive space (or 24) is plenty - my travelmate only holds 40 as is.

Then id highly suggest a SSD drive...but as it stands a 32gig SSD is worth $489 on newegg,so yea CF is perfect for you since u only use word docs, i thought ssds were cheaper than CF cards...

I have a superlight, superthin, and ultra portable laptop for sale...

Toshiba Portege R100
2.4 lbs
12.1" screen
Pentium M ULV 1.0ghz
768mb RAM
30gb hdd

but, the X20 would be cheaper.

Compaq M300. Cheap (think 150) but old (P3). Very small though.

X30's are pretty damn small and are cheap. I got mine of ebay for 300$ about a year ago. I love this little bugger. Give it a decent HD, and some ram. She will pretty zippy for basic tasks. Also might look into a used 700M. With a 9 cell battery option is small and has solid battery life.

there's a lot of x31s for sale at anandtech for $225 a piece, but it's still over what i want to pay.

i was thinking about an old thinkpad 600x maybe... I know that's heavier but maybe more durable and cheap.

Back