Super-IPS (S-IPS) Recommendations? GOOD COLORS NEEDED

Hvatum

Gawd
I need a panel that has the best contrast and color reproduction for some occasional graphics use and possibly DVD viewing. Essentially I will only very rarely play games with it as this will be for work use almost exclusively.

The FAQ lists S-IPS based panels as being optimal for my demands, but I know nothing about individual displays. I'm also open to any panel type or manufacturer if you believe I'd be better served with something different. I would prefer:

• A Widescreen LCD
  • Resolution of 1440x900 or better
  • Black or Silver Frame
  • 20" or Greater.
  • Height Adjustable (This is less important)

Any price below a thousand I would consider.

I would suggest the Dell 2007wfp. 20", S-IPS panel, and it has HDCP. Or the NEC 20" with the glossy screen, if you're into that.

Acer AL2032W would fit your needs perfectly. IMO. ~ $400 USD
But if your budget is just under the grand.. well consider NEC 20WMGX2. ~ $630.

Whoa there! I hate to sound like a troll, but since you did mention that you need this for graphics use, look out for the banding on the Dells. I picked up an A02 which supposedly fixed the issue, but the banding was still very obvious. In contrast, others have reported theirs to be perfect. I guess it's luck of the draw.

why recommend the Acer? it's a TFT panel and would have worse image quality properties then an SIPS. not the best recommendation for his needs??

dano1122 said:
why recommend the Acer? it's a TFT panel and would have worse image quality properties then an SIPS. not the best recommendation for his needs??
The Acer AL2032WA http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...aram=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1048748583 and the F-20 http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...Param=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=290315009 are both S-IPS. I have the F-20 and the colors are outstanding and even moreso after I calibrated it with a Spyder 2 Express.

You might as well forget about getting "good" contrast on an LCD. The NEC20WMGX2 appears to be the best.

I have an S-PVA panel rated at 1000:1 contrast. It is awful in comparison to a CRT.

You should also look into a calibrating tool of some kind or you won't get "good" colors on any monitor that you buy.

joemama said:
The Acer AL2032WA http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...aram=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1048748583 and the F-20 http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...Param=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=290315009 are both S-IPS. I have the F-20 and the colors are outstanding and even moreso after I calibrated it with a Spyder 2 Express.

Do you live in the UK?? Because the info you keep pasting is only going to be relevant to that. you need to find out what the US units use.

If you actually look at the link you pasted it is not an S-IPS because there has not been an S-IPS panel with viewing angle that low ever! 160 / 160??? Someone needs to talk to Acer or you need to take the bezel off and check. Those specs you pasted are irrelevent since they are completely contradictary

My guess is that Acer is sloppy with their website and the 2 monitors use the first generation 20 wide glossy panel from LG-Phillips. And by first i mean the one before the one used in the 20WMGX2.

travbomb said:
Do you live in the UK?? Because the info you keep pasting is only going to be relevant to that. you need to find out what the US units use.

If you actually look at the link you pasted it is not an S-IPS because there has not been an S-IPS panel with viewing angle that low ever! 160 / 160??? Someone needs to talk to Acer or you need to take the bezel off and check. Those specs you pasted are irrelevent since they are completely contradictary

My guess is that Acer is sloppy with their website and the 2 monitors use the first generation 20 wide glossy panel from LG-Phillips. And by first i mean the one before the one used in the 20WMGX2.
Funny you should mention the NEC...if you go to LG/Philips website and plug in the model number of the panel from the 20WMGX2 (which is known) you will find 2 sets of specs....one of which matches the specs of the F-20 and AL2032WA. I was like you and wasn't sure these were S-IPS panels until I saw that...and also a site which stated a characteristic of IPS panels is a slight purple tint at extreme horizontal angle...which my F-20 has.

edit- no I don't live in the UK but the US site doesn't list panel technology and the UK site does...I don't know if its correct or not but to me it seems better than random speculation. Why would the technology of the panel be different in Europe yet the specs are the same? I know the euro F-20 has a tv tuner/extra inputs but that is the only difference.

I will try and give ACER a call tomorrow if I have time and see if they can tell me. They dont have muc of a US staff support though so it may be tough.

travbomb said:
I will try and give ACER a call tomorrow if I have time and see if they can tell me. They dont have muc of a US staff support though so it may be tough.
Good luck, I tried twice...the first time I was flatly told they don't give out that information and the second time the person I talked to seemed so befuddled by the question that I just dropped it and ended the call. Surprisingly though, Acer is supposed to have one of the better reputations for support of their laptop/notebooks. :confused:

joemama said:
Good luck, I tried twice...the first time I was flatly told they don't give out that information and the second time the person I talked to seemed so befuddled by the question that I just dropped it and ended the call. Surprisingly though, Acer is supposed to have one of the better reputations for support of their laptop/notebooks. :confused:

Short Story
Acer support SUCKS.

Long Story
April 3rd 2006, my computer started random restarts – OK – I call support and they arrange a pick up for me. Next day, and they sent FedEx to the wrong location. Great- call it in again, and they pick it up the next day. Get it back three weeks later, and cannot turn it on because they did not send the power adapter back with it that they requested be sent with the unit. Super, they ship one out and I then turn it on and it had the SAME ISSUE within 30 seconds of start up. Call it in, and was promised (manager approved) next day service back to Texas. Well, FedEx comes and it was 2nd day – not the promised next day. Well – another three weeks go by and I then get a call that it will be sent back – however, when I call to get the tracking number, they had it listed going to another address 70 miles away from me. I even had the tech repeat the shipping address due to the issue 6 weeks prior. I get it back, and they did not send the pen for the tablet PC.

So… 6 weeks later to the day – I get my 2000$ laptop back in working order.

Three weeks later, the USB died and a few weeks ago the network adapter died. Then, it began the random shutdowns. Did a SMART analysis of the HD, and it was critical – so they sent me another HD. I then used the restore disk, (only used twice) and one had gone bad. So, Friday I call and got another disk sent to me – at least I thought I did. Called Tuesday to get the tracking number and I was told they did not place the order. So they send me out one, but they sent the wrong part number. Call it in again, and was promised next day service – again, they lied and shipped it second day. I finally got it installed, and the issue is even worse. Finally shipped my unit back to then three days ago.

Oh... and hold times are at least 30 minutes. They even hung up on my mom after 20 minutes a few weeks ago. I’ve waited as long as 45 minutes some days with them.

BTW… this is the kind of service a 450$ warranty buys you…

Dell may have it faults, but they are always up front on any service issues. I sent my Dell Insprion in for service a few years ago and had it back within 100 hours!

tightline said:
NEC20WMGX2 onws all if you got the paper.

Yeah, I'm considering it, I have to see how some of my auctions turn out. My only reservation is that it lacks height adjustment, and the color. I'd also prefer something with a black bezel - but I can live with silver.

Also, the speakers are removable right? That's totally uncessary for me.

Bacillus said:
Short Story
Acer support SUCKS.

Long Story
April 3rd 2006, my computer started random restarts – OK – I call support and they arrange a pick up for me. Next day, and they sent FedEx to the wrong location. Great- call it in again, and they pick it up the next day. Get it back three weeks later, and cannot turn it on because they did not send the power adapter back with it that they requested be sent with the unit. Super, they ship one out and I then turn it on and it had the SAME ISSUE within 30 seconds of start up. Call it in, and was promised (manager approved) next day service back to Texas. Well, FedEx comes and it was 2nd day – not the promised next day. Well – another three weeks go by and I then get a call that it will be sent back – however, when I call to get the tracking number, they had it listed going to another address 70 miles away from me. I even had the tech repeat the shipping address due to the issue 6 weeks prior. I get it back, and they did not send the pen for the tablet PC.

So… 6 weeks later to the day – I get my 2000$ laptop back in working order.

Three weeks later, the USB died and a few weeks ago the network adapter died. Then, it began the random shutdowns. Did a SMART analysis of the HD, and it was critical – so they sent me another HD. I then used the restore disk, (only used twice) and one had gone bad. So, Friday I call and got another disk sent to me – at least I thought I did. Called Tuesday to get the tracking number and I was told they did not place the order. So they send me out one, but they sent the wrong part number. Call it in again, and was promised next day service – again, they lied and shipped it second day. I finally got it installed, and the issue is even worse. Finally shipped my unit back to then three days ago.

Oh... and hold times are at least 30 minutes. They even hung up on my mom after 20 minutes a few weeks ago. I’ve waited as long as 45 minutes some days with them.

BTW… this is the kind of service a 450$ warranty buys you…

Dell may have it faults, but they are always up front on any service issues. I sent my Dell Insprion in for service a few years ago and had it back within 100 hours!

WOW! Just one anecdote but that turns me off to Acer, along with the other people complaining about them. You know it's bad if Dell's support is better then yours...

Hvatum said:
Yeah, I'm considering it, I have to see how some of my auctions turn out. My only reservation is that it lacks height adjustment, and the color. I'd also prefer something with a black bezel - but I can live with silver.

Also, the speakers are removable right? That's totally uncessary for me.

It's a damn shame no all black, and speakers and no height adjustment! At least the European version, 20WGX2, comes w/o speakers and no built in tuner saving about $100.

But the image is easily the best.

Speakers can be removed...2 screws hold them on. And height can be delt with too. Either by ordering a base from NEC off the LCD2070WNX or a third party VESA one from Ergotron or the like. But all black we're SOL.

If those issues are a deal breaker I'd wait for these new AS-IPS panels start making thier way into monitors. Fast and some have even better color gamet and larger.. 24,26 and 30"... to supplement thier 20" found inside 20WMGX2
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/newscontent.htm#lg.philips

tightline said:
It's a damn shame no all black, and speakers and no height adjustment! At least the European version, 20WGX2, comes w/o speakers and no built in tuner saving about $100.

But the image is easily the best.

Speakers can be removed...2 screws hold them on. And height can be delt with too. Either by ordering a base from NEC off the LCD2070WNX or a third party VESA one from Ergotron or the like. But all black we're SOL.

If those issues are a deal breaker I'd wait for these new AS-IPS panels start making thier way into monitors. Fast and some have even better color gamet and larger.. 24,26 and 30"... to supplement thier 20" found inside 20WMGX2
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/newscontent.htm#lg.philips

Thank you for the tip, I'm going to wait around until I can see an AS-IPS panel for myself. I looked at the LCD2070WNX and it was very good, for an LCD. I'm still sticking with my CRT for now however.

The LCD20WGX2 looks promising though, I hope to have a look at it myself soon. As far as I know it's one of the best AS-IPS panels.

Back