Super HOT: WD 160GB 8MB buff = $40 after PM & MIR

Badger_sly

[H]ard|Gawd
Office Max has the 160GB WD 8MB buff for $130 - $70 in MIR.

Best Buy has the same drive for $180 - $90 MIR.

Take an OM add to BB and pricematch the drive down to the $130 to start, then mail in BB's $90 rebate = $40.

I got the same drive for $60 a couple of weeks back, but I'm tempted to do this one also, as it's a smokin' hot deal, and I can never have too many Gigs.

No store I've been too will price match with OM because they seldom, if ever, have the advertised item in stock :p

Yes, BB will pricematch OM, if OM is within the local area.

And, just call OM to see if they have one in stock, then have them hold it. When you PM, if they're going to call to check if it's in stock, let them know one is being held for you. It worked for me a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't go get the drive until on a Tuesday.

Now are these the WD drives that can be falsely packaged w/ 200GB's inside?

guys...this isnt gonna work...
they both cost....

at OM its...
180-50$ IR - 70$ in MIR

he thinks...

BB will honor the price WITH the instant rebate ( i highly doubt they will price match with instant rebate, they dont PM with MIR, why would they do it with IR)

Forget BB, I would do this at Circuit City, they have the 1600JBRTL (8mb version) for $159.99 in my experience CC is much friendlier than the other places, and more willing to offer PMs even to another store's AR price. I remember a post Black Friday deal, BB had the 250GB WD drive for like 140 (don't remember exactly) CC PM'd because they didn't have the rebates, then the next week they did offer the rebates, so I brought my receipt back in the resold it to me at the same price, but then I had receipts that qualified for the rebate. I ended up getting the drive for like $60 in the end :D

Originally posted by battleangel3222
he thinks...

BB will honor the price WITH the instant rebate ( i highly doubt they will price match with instant rebate, they dont PM with MIR, why would they do it with IR)

Man, quit trying to thread crap and be so negative.

It will work.

An instant rebate is just another term for an item being on sale for that price. BB will match the drive at $130, then you get the mail in rebates to use also. I did it just a few weeks ago, and the sales guy didn't read the fine print, and said "we don't pricematch rebates", to which I pointed out it was an instant rebate, and he replied, "oh, OK we can do it then" and did.

Just go prepared with the OM flyer, have a drive held at OM in case they call, and have a copy of BB's pricematch policy. Present all that to the sales person, and presto, you got 160GB for $40 + tax.

Originally posted by Deek
Now are these the WD drives that can be falsely packaged w/ 200GB's inside?

Look through the plastic case for the model #. If it has a 2000 in it, then it's a 200GB, if 1600, then a 160GB. When I got mine, I looked through all 10 on the shelf and they were all the 160GB, but you may get lucky.

why the FUCK would I crap your thread? I want good hardrives at an outstanding price too. Go ahead, try it.

You dont seem to fucking get it, when all the rebates for both stores are done, they both come out to the SAME price, why would they do a pricematch on the price with an instant rebate? They would notice that it comes out to the same price as theres in the end.

why the FUCK would I crap your thread? I want good hardrives at an outstanding price too. Go ahead, try it.

You dont seem to fucking get it, when all the rebates for both stores are done, they both come out to the SAME price, why would they do a pricematch on the price with an instant rebate? They would notice that it comes out to the same price as theres in the end.

most wont let you, unless you get a dumb CS.

A little 'Price Matching 101' is needed as you're making it way more difficult than it really is.

.................... when all the rebates for both stores are done, they both come out to the SAME price,

^^ That is your first wrong point. We're not talking about the MIRs here, that is done later after you have the drive. So...... no, they do not come out to the SAME price when you price match them in the store. The OM drive is $130 on the shelf, this is with the instant rebate already, it is physically labeled $129.99 on the shelf, and that is what it will ring up as at checkout. Now, the same drive at BB is $179.99 on the shelf, and is what you'll pay at the register. The $129.99 is the price you price match to at BB. The BB people will understand this when it's pointed out the drive is on sale. So.... in other words, "instant rebate" means "on sale for". OK? You're up to speed so far, right?

why would they do a pricematch on the price with an instant rebate?
Simple, because that is the purpose of a price match, to equal their competitor's lower price.

They would notice that it comes out to the same price as theres in the end.

^^ Kind of the same thing, but we'll call this your second wrong point anyway. BB will not notice that the drives comes out to the same price, because they don't. "Theirs" is $179.99 out the door, while OM's drive is $129.99 out the door. That, is all that matters in a price match. There is nothing to do with the MIRs during the price match. Once the drive is purchased at BB, price matched to OM, then you get the MIRs with your BB receipt.

I hope you understand the simplicity of it now.

I went to BB's site and looked at the drive and they only have a $70 MIR listed on the HDD's page. Is there another $20 MIR that isn't listed, or possibly an instore only rebate?

I did the same thing... only 70$ rebate on the webpage of BB... anything I'm missing besides 20$?

Mabye it's an instant rebate? That would make this deal even hotter!

Guys i just did this deal and got 3 drives. The website shows a $70.00 rebate that is from Western Digital. Best Buy also has a $20.00 rebate. Two rebates totaling $90.00

Originally posted by onetrueday
most wont let you, unless you get a dumb CS.

Exactly. Finally someone with some fucking common sense in this thread, stupid dick heads. and no, its not labled 129. I was just at office max buying the 80 gig ver, it was labled & rang up as normal price, and then at the end it said -20 for IR. At there ORIGINAL prices, both EQUAL the same thing, except at one place, one is an IR, not a MIR which means you just get it instantly, its still a rebate, not a price dumb fuck.

Exactly. Finally ........................

Forget it kid, just forget this thread and don't bother trying it out, as you'll likely, somehow, talk any BB person out of doing the price match.

I think you'll most likely be riding the short bus for quite some time.

Just called the local Office Max here in Dallas and the surprisingly helpful rep said that his store is out and all the other stores are out too. Call ahead is my advice or do some fast talking at the Best Buy counter.

Exactly. Finally someone with some fucking common sense in this thread, stupid dick heads. and no, its not labled 129. I was just at office max buying the 80 gig ver, it was labled & rang up as normal price, and then at the end it said -20 for IR. At there ORIGINAL prices, both EQUAL the same thing, except at one place, one is an IR, not a MIR which means you just get it instantly, its still a rebate, not a price dumb fuck.
That kind of language really isn't called for, don't sweat it man. I think what you were really trying to tell badger was "YMMV"...

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

I just tried to try some social engineering on the folks at Best Buy. I managed to sweet talk them into price matching OM even though they were out of stock. Just before I handed over the credit card to complete the purchase, I double checked and asked about the MIR. Turns out there is fine print on the rebates. If there is a price match, the MIR becomes void. As the service counter lady said, "Yeah, you can mail them in, but they're not going to honor them with a price match."

As always, YMMV so ask about this before completing your purchase. Again, you might not receive your mail-in rebate if you price match at Best Buy.

Originally posted by Torgo
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

I just tried to try some social engineering on the folks at Best Buy. I managed to sweet talk them into price matching OM even though they were out of stock. Just before I handed over the credit card to complete the purchase, I double checked and asked about the MIR. Turns out there is fine print on the rebates. If there is a price match, the MIR becomes void. As the service counter lady said, "Yeah, you can mail them in, but they're not going to honor them with a price match."

As always, YMMV so ask about this before completing your purchase. Again, you might not receive your mail-in rebate if you price match at Best Buy.
what if you buy it first from best buy at the full price so that the PM does not show up on the receipt and then go back with the office max ad and price match it then for the 110% difference. does best buy mark the old receipt or print a new receipt that says PM on it?

Originally posted by slick rick
what if you buy it first from best buy at the full price so that the PM does not show up on the receipt and then go back with the office max ad and price match it then for the 110% difference. does best buy mark the old receipt or print a new receipt that says PM on it?

just did that. we'll see what happens...

The fine print is on the $20.00 Best Buy Rebate. The $70.00 one from Western Digital is completly valid. So even if the one from BB fals thru you still get the drive for $60.00

I'm sorry, but thats just way to much headache for 20 dollars more off, anyways I would have to drive almost an hour to my nearest BB, where as I drive 5 mins to the Officemax just down the street from me.

Back