Super Hot SSD Deals - M4s $1/Gb

The falling prices of these M4's have me a bit worried - are they sacrificing product quality?

New intel ssd uses sf now and is faster I believe. Not worth the price premium over this though.

Oh sorry, must've been thinking about a different Intel series -_- (sorry, need morning coffee)

EDIT: Was thinking about the 510 series.

You won't see much of a difference in an SSD Raid 0 unless you perform intensive I/O operations all the time. Do you tax your single drive right now? If the answer is no, you won't see much of a real world performance boost by moving to RAID 0 M4s.

If you're going to get another one, get it for extra space or for putting into another workstation, not for more speed. Almost all "gamers" and enthusiasts will not find a use for the extra speed other than benchmark bragging rights, because for the average person and their real world needs, there's hardly a difference between Firefox loading in 1 second and loading in .5ms.

Well I was actually just doing it for more space. I have the OS and other programs currently loaded on my 128GB m4 and have about 25GB left. I figured Raid 0'ing another 128GB would be easier and having 1 raided drive for the OS and programs and then I have a regular 1TB drive for data.

Should have no issues raiding it with a Corsair GT, right?

friends don't let friends RAID crucial M4's.

Seriously - they are so fast that the only equivalent I can think of is getting a brand new 600 dollar graphics card to run an openGL game from 1997.

I bought another one to use in a laptop. From the moment I got one for my main rig to boot up on and have 4 or 5 choice games, there's just no going back. It scores 7.9 in the windows score, and boots win7 in 5 seconds... that pretty much includes logging on and loading startup programs.

Dont' raid with these - you'll understand why I say this once you've installed your OS. :D

Crap that's a great deal, but I really don't need on right now, on the other hand I do have a credit card...

Well I was actually just doing it for more space. I have the OS and other programs currently loaded on my 128GB m4 and have about 25GB left. I figured Raid 0'ing another 128GB would be easier and having 1 raided drive for the OS and programs and then I have a regular 1TB drive for data.

Oh good, just making sure I had my bases covered. Your scenario is why I ordered 2 instead of 1; my gf uses the same old programs almost always (CS5, Firefox, Painter X), but better safe with too much space than sorry.

Dog, I thought they didn't price match Newegg, otherwise I would have just waited and saved on California tax -_-

Dog, I thought they didn't price match Newegg, otherwise I would have just waited and saved on California tax -_-

They have been matching the price recently...just have to wait for them to adjust the price. Thats how I got refunded on my original set of 4 128GB (bought for 190, refunded, bought for 159, now waiting for amazon to drop the price... )

Anybody think this is a permanent price drop or a limited time of deal offer?

I'm cringing and thinking about either buying a couple or waiting a bit later till I get paid.

Anyone know if Newegg might refund me? Because to be honest, I'd really rather save $40 tax ($20 + $20) if there's a chance in hell Amazon is going to drop their price to match.

Thank you so much, DogChainX. Even if Amazon comes CLOSE to price matching, it'll save me nearly $40.

Canceled my two orders online, btw; thank you, wiseoracle.

How do you get Amazon to price match? I got two from NewEgg. I'd like another two for a lab NAS I'm building.

How do you get Amazon to price match? I got two from NewEgg. I'd like another two for a lab NAS I'm building.

Contact Amazon customer support. They have been price matching newegg, if not going slightly cheaper than newegg in the past.:D

DAMN IT NEWEGG!! And here I was trying not to spend money...

Oh well...present to myself for passing a national cytogenetics certification exam today!

You don't (at least, not that I know). You just have to wait for Amazon to drop the price. They have been doing it lately, so chances are they might do it for this too.

However....I wouldn't wait around all day waiting for Amazon to drop the price. I'm just doing it so I can return my current drives, get refunded, and then reorder the drives at a lower price.

Amazon doesn't do refunds on price adjustments.....so I just have to eat the return shipping. But it saved me a lot of $$$ the last time around. :D

The falling prices of these M4's have me a bit worried - are they sacrificing product quality?

I'd say they're trying to knock guys like me off the fence. I just built, in the last year a whole new computer but put in a 1 TB 7200.12 Seagate HDD.

My problem is my whole drive of data from the old computer is in a folder on this drive (- Progs & Windows folders), and I dual boot Linux & Win7.

SO a PITA to redo it all...I know I could set up both OS's to use the M4 and the HDD as data storage, but whata PITA!

I'm just now getting it like I wanted it right down to putting it all in a new case and installed the last new fan a couple days ago.

AND we all know 512GB's will be $99 before you know it.

It comes down to how bad do you want it...most don't NEED it.

And cash, which I have, but what a PITA!

They won't price match..but they did give me a $20 credit. I'll see if they drop the price today to get my other two. :)

Llama[Style];1038434566 said:
Contact Amazon customer support. They have been price matching newegg, if not going slightly cheaper than newegg in the past.:D

I just got off the phone with an obviously outsourced (Indian?) CSR. She informed me that Amazon does not price match. At all. I'm still willing to wait on a price match, though, because no tax really makes this deal worth it.

I just got off the phone with an obviously outsourced (Indian?) CSR. She informed me that Amazon does not price match. At all. I'm still willing to wait on a price match, though, because no tax really makes this deal worth it.

Ahh, well chances are they will anyways. That seems to have been the trend with them lately. /fingerscrossed

Llama[Style];1038434614 said:
Ahh, well chances are they will anyways. That seems to have been the trend with them lately. /fingerscrossed

More than my fingers will be crossed if they don't price match :mad:

(Well okay, maybe I won't be so mad, because $40 is a lot to pay for just tax... but still.)

When using an SSD as the OS drive, it's always best to perform a clean OS install instead of migrating from an existing drive.

EDIT: But if you're not very tech savvy and/or have never installed an OS from scratch, then there are still those out there who claim migration is fine. See: http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

Even with platter HDDs though, when moving from one to another, I prefer to do clean installs instead of migrating from an existing drive. Not sure if it's just because of how I was trained through various jobs, but peace of mind with a clean install > chance of something wrong being copied over from an existing install, be it due to hardware issues or data corruption. This becomes a non-issue when moving from data drive to data drive, but when moving from OS drive to OS drive on a personal workstation, you really want to ensure that any chance of data corruption is kept to a minimum since most personal computers won't have proper backup solutions set in place.

I've migrated SSD to SSD a couple of times now without issue. I agree a clean install is preferable in a professional setting where you have a specific list of software to install in addition to the OS. And I would never clone a hdd to ssd. But on my personal machine, I have so many programs, games, utilities and preferences set up I would never be able to recreate everything if I performed a clean install. Never mind the fact that finding and reinstalling everything I could recall would triple or quadruple the time needed for a simple clone migration...If I was getting paid by the hour I'd definitely do a clean install!

If I was getting paid by the hour I'd definitely do a clean install!

Haha there's always that, but it's give and take: it looks 100x worse in a professional environment for there to be a problem later on than it does for the IT to take a system down ONCE for 3+ hours

If I were to purchase one of these, would it be worth it to upgrade to a motherboard with 6GB sata? Looking at used prices of my current board and new board prices, I could about end up doing an even swap. Would the speed bump be worth the hassle?

If I were to purchase one of these, would it be worth it to upgrade to a motherboard with 6GB sata? Looking at used prices of my current board and new board prices, I could about end up doing an even swap. Would the speed bump be worth the hassle?

From everything I've read, you probably won't even notice the difference in normal use.

the 64 and 128 don't say sold out for me

EDIT: NVM the 128 now says sold out. Dang...So much for raid 0'ing another 128, I waited to long to decide.

Last edited:
The question I have with this is space expansion. As it was noted above RAID doesn't benefit these drives much, but given the low capacities, RAID is beneficial for the OS to see them as one larger drive. Particularly in the case of Steam, which doesn't allow for multiple drive install paths that I am aware of. I had also heard RAID interferes with TRIM?

My sole use for these would be for my games and Steam. Is there a way other than RAID to expand useable storage to multiple SSDs? This is a big sticking point for my purchase.

Still no price match on Amazon's end. Sucks, but tbh it wasn't that great of a deal for me and anyone in California with the added tax.

Shows SOLD OUT now. Great deal while it lasted.

What a load of crap. I had two of the 128GB M4's in my cart and was on the phone with NeweggBusiness to see what they could do for me on the $50 off $250 coupon and the CSR said he was going to give me $25 off since the funds had run out on the $50. I then submitted my order and get an e-mail telling me the item is out of stock.

What a load of crap. I had two of the 128GB M4's in my cart and was on the phone with NeweggBusiness to see what they could do for me on the $50 off $250 coupon and the CSR said he was going to give me $25 off since the funds had run out on the $50. I then submitted my order and get an e-mail telling me the item is out of stock.

OWNED

but yeah, that sucks..

Back