Super comfy headphones?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So I got a new job (software development internship), I pretty much sit staring at code all day. My manager told me I can listen to music all I want during work, everybody there has pretty nice headphones.

I cannot really tell the sound difference between cheap and expensive headphones. I have some $20 sennheiser headphones that I think sound just as good as $200 headphones.

Only problem is they hurt my head after about 30 min.

I'm looking for some suggestions for super comfortable over ear or on ear headphones (no in ear) around $100 or less. Thanks for any suggestions.

I can suggest 2 headphones from my personal experience.

Koss KSC75
These are comfy to me and sound quality is amazing for the price. If you do a quick google search, you'll see they're highly praised. If they don't float your boat, it isn't that big of a loss, I suppose.

JVC RX700
These were pretty comfy too and have decent sq. I haven't used them in forever though.

If you can push your budget a bit, the Audio Technica athm50 are pretty comfy to me and they are closed-back headphones, so they don't leak any sound. I've only have the vanilla version, so not sure if they later revisions are a lot better, but I imagine they should be.

Hope that helps

AKG are usually very good.
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-...qid=1412462225&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...F8&qid=1412462294&sr=8-12&keywords=headphones

Generally some people like large (especially over ear) and some as light as possible.
Behind the neck is another option

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PM...5&sr=8-29&keywords=behind+the+neck+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Reductio...2462592&sr=8-15&keywords=wireless++headphones

How tethered to one place matters. I like large large ones do not mind heavy.
amazon has a good return policy, or did.
Or check local audiophile shops. Expensive is more likely to be comfortable

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sennheiser 558 is about $100 + or - $10. Super duper comfy for long periods.

for a work environment closed headphones may be best as to not disturb others or be disturbed by them.

In my experience some of the most comfortable $200~ish headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT770 .... I own the Pro 80 version of these and use them each and everyday basically at home. The comfort is very very good I can wear them for long periods with no discomfort.

oh lol.. sorry misread your budget ... YOLO get the DT770's anyway???

at below $100 you could get the takstar Pro 80's / Gemini HSR1000 (basically the same takstar is the oem)

i also own the previously mentioned JVC HA-RX700 they are rather comically gigantic and you may get made fun of put the are comfy and nice for the small money they cost.. mine eventually had a hinge break after about 2.5 years of owning them however.

The JVC's mentioned are big and bulky.

My suggestion is the criminally overlooked Beyerdynamic DT235. I know OP mentioned he can't really tell good SQ, but I feel it more than holds its own against anything in the sub $100 category. It's also lightweight, compact and has minimal clamp. The cloth earpads also prevent sweaty hot ears. As to why this model is not more popular - who knows? Lack of hype at head-fi and homely, mundane looks I guess.

I highly recommend the Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506 (whichever is cheaper, they sound identical). You might be able to get it and still have money left over.

A few good words I'll put in for this headphone:

The thing is damn near immortal, as I just put it in my backpack (no cases or w/e) and go. Oh and I dropped it a more than 10 times and no lose parts or rattling noises or loss in sound quality. The comfort of these cans has only been rivaled by the Beyerdynamic DT and AKG K series. It's not that heavy and I find that some headphones will "fatigue my ears after long hours" (I'm looking at you, Grado), the V6 can stay comfy on my head for 4+ hours.

Very subjective, headphone comfort.
I just got a pair of sennheiser HD439 headphones, they were on sale for around $40. Closed back, comfy ear cups, possibly a little loose, i have a large head type.

The audio-technica wing based design has been the most comfortable one I've come across to date. It seems to float on your head. Check out the ATH series.

I dunno. I don't have a huge problem with headphone comfort.
I tend to have massive problems with headphone DURABILITY.

My abnormal noggin tends to stress the extension points on most headsets, and the occasional drops and one-handed removals probably don't help. But I've gone through three pair of headsets in the last 18 months (and it's pissing me off).

I finally buckled down and bought a pair of Steel Series Siberia Elites.

At $160, they're the most expensive headset I've owned. But they're built in a way that's gonna be a LOT tougher to break.

Sennheiser 558 is about $100 + or - $10. Super duper comfy for long periods.

These are probably the most comfortable I can think of at $100

Keep in mind they are open back so your music will leak into th office

In addition to being really comfortable and sounding excellent the HD 558's use a single sided (replaceable) cord setup, much easier to remove 1-handed than a split cord style.

Just going to to toss my hat in here, I have been using HD280 pros for a while. You should be able to pick them up for around $100 they are closed back and very comfy for long duration use. You should be able to try them out at large audio stores (Sam Ash comes tom mind. )

I just got a set of Sen HD 558 & Im very disappointed. They actually sound bad to my ears..I actually prefer my monoprice dj that were 29 bux...Sometimes more money doesnt mean its better...So now in need of another set..suggestions for great sq/comfort/fit?

Last edited:
Back