Super 3D Graphics

Shmuckety

[H]ard|Gawd
After hearing about the technology behind Superman and other new films in 3D I began to wonder... :confused: ...would it be possible to view such a movie on you home pc?

Not that they would release anything like that (any time soon), but a PC monitor can display the 144 ish fps necessary to make this possible and the cheap glasses that you need would not be a problem to get. So If you could fit it on a dvd would it be possible?

You already can view 3D IMAX movies on your home PC.

www.edimensional.com

Go to the "stunning 3D section".

The glasses are $100 for the wireless version.

Go to the DVDs section to see IMAX remakes. Superman isn't there yet, but it probably will be.

I strongly recommend an LCD monitor here, as they make 120Hz seem like 60Hz on a CRT. It can give you quite a headache (speaking from experience here).

Works on games, too. Can't be used with brand new games, because you have to use old stereo drivers (I don't even think they work with SLI) and a 120Hz refresh rate, which forces you to turn the eye candy and res way, way down. But it's fun to play older games that can handle the extra load. I tried it with a flight sim and it was pretty cool.

PS: I have no idea why that website is using a secure server for the catalogue page.

This technology has been around for a very long time. It has to do with the way the video is recorded and does not take any special equipment. There is zero difference between a $100 pair of 3D glasses and the 10 cent pair they hand out at the theater.

arthur_tuxedo said:
It has to do with the way the video is recorded..
Not anymore. It can be solely done in post processing now, though the difference is noticeable.

Thats why Superman 3D's '3D' sections had more of a pop-up feel than a true 3d feel. Singer didnt film using the dedicated 3D cameras, he filmed using normal cameras, then in post production they 'force split' frames so they could release the 3d version.

Spoudazo said:
Who said it's 144fps? :confused:

Articles that I have read.

pr0pensity said:
Yes. Wait for the DVD release.

Will the DVD have the 3d parts included?

HOCP4ME said:
You already can view 3D IMAX movies on your home PC.

That doesn't look like the same thing to me. Will it look as good as the theatre version?

Shmuckety said:
Will the DVD have the 3d parts included?

I have no idea, but if it does, it will just be the crappy-looking red and blue 3D glasses that make everything the wrong color and give you a major headache.

That doesn't look like the same thing to me. Will it look as good as the theatre version?

It will allow you to see true 3D, like that effect when something seems to "pop out of the screen". It uses a different method to create the 3D effect than the theater version. Most theaters use polarized 3D glasses, which gives you the best effect, but can only be done with special projection equipment. The website that I linked to uses active glasses, which work in sync with your monitor to channel different pictures to each eye. This can give you a headache after using it for a while, and the synchronization isn't always perfect, but it works on a standard monitor and beats red/blue glasses by a long shot. So it won't be as good as the theater, but it's the closest you can get to the theater on your PC.

That's also why the glasses cost $100. They are much different than the 10C glasses that theaters give you. Theaters use polarized glasses, which are just a plastic frame with a plastic polarizing filter over one of the eyes. The $100 glasses, however, consist of an LCD panel over each eye. These panels must alternate black and clear in exact synchronization with your monitor, which will be switching between two slightly different images very rapidly. When the right-eye picture is shown, the left-eye LCD will be black, and vice-versa. But it has to happen fast enough (60 Hz) that you don't notice the flashes of black in each eye. That's why the glasses are expensive.

Back