Sunless Sea

big_aug

2[H]4U
I saw this on RPS. I picked it up today now that its no longer early access. Anyone else?

Pretty entertaining roguelike. The atmosphere and writing is pretty good. I'm not usually one for heavy text in my games, but this is very well done. Fairly difficult as well.

I haven't played for about 8 months and there wasn't a ton of content when I played but what there was, was quite fun and the writing was entertaining.

I keep my wishlist very small because my backlog is so very large, but Sunless Sea went on it immediately because you sail steamships! in the dark! with cool lighting! Now that it's out of Early Access I'll be buying it.

Yup, I'll probably grab it, but won't wind up playing it for six months.

I've had it on my wishlist for a while now. Was reading the review on RPS and nearly pulled the trigger then I saw that the dev posted saying that early adopters would get lifetime free DLC. Killed my hard-on for the game. It looks awesome but I'll wait for a 50% off sale now.

Wait.....so you didn't buy because OTHER people are getting something for free when they took the risk of buying an early access game, a risk you were not willing to take?

Talk about nonsense reasoning....

Wait.....so you didn't buy because OTHER people are getting something for free when they took the risk of buying an early access game, a risk you were not willing to take?

Talk about nonsense reasoning....

No different than pre-order bonuses. The industry has trained me to wait for post release reviews, GOTY editions, and sales. Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, disabling mod tools and forcing you to pay for maps and skins, games that are broken at release, etc. have pretty much destroyed any chance of extracting extra money from me. As much as I enjoy gaming my life is not based around having to play a certain game at a certain time. I can wait until a game and it's DLC are on sale for $5.

Last edited:
Extremely enjoyable game so far (couple of hours of playtime at the moment.) It kind of reminds me of FTL but with realtime exploration and combat, with Lovecraft-inspired atmosphere. I do expect that once you've seen all the "stories" (all of the potential ports you can visit and random events) the game could become a lot more tedious and less exciting, but there's probably a lot of game before you get to that point.

No different than pre-order bonuses. The industry has trained me to wait for post release reviews, GOTY editions, and sales. Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, disabling mod tools and forcing you to pay for maps and skins, games that are broken at release, etc. have pretty much destroyed any chance of extracting extra money from me. As much as I enjoy gaming my life is not based around having to play a certain game at a certain time. I can wait until a game and it's DLC are on sale for $5.
I understand what you are saying. It's the sad state of the industry that the only way indie developers can exist and make it to a release is to crowdfund along the way. On one hand I feel as a gamer I want to help out but then my reasoning kicks in. I've been burned by a lot of the prerelease games on Steam over the last year. Buggy unfinished junk that had a great premise, had great pre-alpha/alpha reviews, but never delivered anything worth what I paid. It has come to a point where even when a trusted reviewer does their hands on and sings the praises about how much potential a game has you STILL have to wait it out and see if after 1.0.0 it's a giant bugfest the developer has no intention of wading through.

Alcohol and looking at the Steam Store = BAD!

Bought this last night. I haven't tried it yet.

Today I signed up for Fallen London, and haven't tried it either.

I love the Lovecraftian feel of both of these though.

I played the game for 3 hours the other day. Here's my initial impression:

- There is a LOT of reading. It's a text game, except for fights on the Unterzee. Be prepared to read. A lot.
- I expected to die by now, but I haven't. Either I've been lucky, it's not as hard as they lead me to believe, or I haven't gotten very far yet.
- I love the feel of the game. It could use voice acting for some of the dialog though. Done right, it would add immensly to the immersion.
- The interface is a bit clumsy. It will give you a little message before you choose an option. Then, when you choose that option, you see that message again followed by the new information. I found that a bit odd, though I understand why they did it.
- The main challenge of the game is managing resources (fuel, food, the cash to buy those). I need to figure out how far I can go on one unit of fuel, so I know when to turn back.
- There are a lot of stats that I don't understand. I haven't found a manual yet, or in-game help that explains what they are. That makes it a bit harder to play the game. WTF are Veils or Mirrors? I think they are stats, but I don't know what they represent.

It's cool, mostly because of the atmosphere of the game. It's a bit compelling because of the exploration aspects. It's slow because of all the reading. I will continue to play it and see how it goes.

Yes, it should be said that there's a bit of reading in this game. Various articles on the game report that there are 250,000 words, which is about a 500 page novel's worth, because each island and crew member has a story to tell. Some of you may hate reading, but I'm looking forward to that, assuming the writing is good.

I purchased the game on Steam this past weekend, without realizing that it's not available on my platform, Linux. I don't have OSX nor Windows. After I realized my mistake, I filed a ticket with Steam for a refund.

After I filed the ticket, I found out that the developer is willing to offer an experimental Linux build for those we can provide a proof of purchase.
http://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-sea-faq/

I contacted the developer and explained my situation. I received a reply today with a link where I can download this experimental version.

I haven't tried running it yet. Either way, big thumbs up to the dev!

A steal at that price. I might have to give it a go again to try the expansion.

I've had it on my wishlist for a while but i will be a bit before I pickup it up barring a good sale. I tend to buy games I that offered a playable demo I enjoyed first.

I see it is on sale on Steam but I would rather get the GOG version.

And definitely hit up the Wiki if you play this- it's not very forgiving. But respawns don't hurt (much).

I won't support these devs anymore. A few months ago they tweeted that they were looking to hire new devs of only one skin color. Seriously.

Back