Sun pre-announces Opteron 285 SE

seigejet

Limp Gawd
Source : Theinquirer.net
In case you're lazy ;)

SUN WAS KIND ENOUGH to pre-announce another AMD processor, this time it is the 285 SE, probably for Sun Edition because there is no such beast in the AMD quick reference guide.
If you read the PDF, it says "At Supercomputing 2005, Sun announced significant performance upgrades to its Sun Fire™ x64 servers powered by the high-performance AMD Opteron™ processor. The Sun Fire™ X4100 and Sun Fire™ X4200 servers are now available with AMD's newest, highest-performing multi-core AMD Opteron™ Model 285 SE processor, outperforming similar competitors' systems based on dual-core Intel processors." for the November 15 2005 entry.

I didn't catch that announcement, nor did anyone I asked, odd isn't it? Either way, the 'high wattage' parts tend to precede the normal non-SE parts by a handful of weeks, so I would look for the 285s to ship in early January or so. If it wasn't for a sharp eyed reader, we might have been surprised by this. µ

serbiaNem said:
Considering 275 is 2.2ghz, this one is probably 2.6.
Safe bet, considering there is a 280 at 2.4GHz already. I must say, if they made a 939 185 I'd start questioning the need for an FX-60...

serbiaNem said:

Yeah, sounds about right. Since the Opteron 175 is 2.2GHz and the 280 is 2.4GHz. it makes sense. What is odd is the SE suffix.

bountyhunter said:
maybe it has more cache?

is that even possible?

It could. However AMD charges more for Opterons than Intel does for Xeon's. Plus, Xeons have insane amounts of cache. AMD seems to charge alot more for CPU's that have 1MB of cache vs. 512k cache. My guess is, due to the cost increase extra L2 provides, it's not likely that cache is the difference. I'm thinking wattage/power consumption like the others.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Yeah, sounds about right. Since the Opteron 175 is 2.2GHz and the 280 is 2.4GHz. it makes sense. What is odd is the SE suffix.

It possibly be Sun Edition?

serbiaNem said:

Based on what I can see as available in our systems guide:

Type: AMD Opteron Processor 200 Series
Single Core: 248 (2.2GHz), 252 (2.6GHz), or 254 (2.8GHz)
Dual Core: 275 (2.2GHz), or 280 (2.4GHz)

I'm with you.....

Back