Summer Overclocks :(

blade52x

2[H]4U
88F outside, probably about 80F inside of my room right now. Luckily the humidity is only around 30%, thank God for that or I wouldn't be going to sleep until around 3AM.

Put my overclock down to 333x9 today = 3Ghz on stock voltage, running the RAM at default 667Mhz 1.8V, and my graphics card is also running stock.

Computer is idling 46C on stock voltage with Scythe Ninja :(
7600GT is idling at 52C with NV6 cooler :(

Just a few days ago when it was a very nice 60F outside, I was idling a good 10C lower.

To make things better I left the window open and there is pollen everywhere - all over my keyboard, probably inside of my computer (hopefully my filters took care of most of it though).

So... whenever my parents decide to turn the AC on...

Oh well, not like I really need the extra 300-400Mhz anyway.

88F outside, probably about 80F inside of my room right now. Luckily the humidity is only around 30%, thank God for that or I wouldn't be going to sleep until around 3AM.

Put my overclock down to 333x9 today = 3Ghz on stock voltage, running the RAM at default 667Mhz 1.8V, and my graphics card is also running stock.

Computer is idling 46C on stock voltage with Scythe Ninja :(
7600GT is idling at 52C with NV6 cooler :(

Just a few days ago when it was a very nice 60F outside, I was idling a good 10C lower.

To make things better I left the window open and there is pollen everywhere - all over my keyboard, probably inside of my computer (hopefully my filters took care of most of it though).

So... whenever my parents decide to turn the AC on...

Oh well, not like I really need the extra 300-400Mhz anyway.

yeah i have that problem too man. i almost restorted to throw my components inside a little mini fridge and i was like wait a minute i'll probably get condensation and short circuit my board. good thing i didnt try that. haha

but imagine if you could, your computer would be as cold as the can of soda that you drink. 35-40F? then that would be roughly 1.6 - 2.2 degrees Celsius!!!

Watercooling my E6400 @ 3.6ghz (1.45v) with D-tek fuzion, Thermochill Pa 120.2 and MCp655 idle temp is 40-45s and load is 50-60s depends on the room temp.

I have one of those window units in my room...im always blasting that bad boy to about 68 degrees. Nice and chilly. :D

I have the same problem...316x9.5 (3.0GHz) gives me the same temps on my scythe ninja in hot weather. I am thinking about lapping the ninja though, because it definitely isn't a mirror finish. I was also was thinking about watercooling, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I have the same problem...316x9.5 (3.0GHz) gives me the same temps on my scythe ninja in hot weather. I am thinking about lapping the ninja though, because it definitely isn't a mirror finish. I was also was thinking about watercooling, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Someone posted a lapping thread earlier where he lapped both his thermalright ultra and his cpu. Lapping the HS prooduced a 1 Celsius lowering on load while lapping the processor lowered the load by 8 Celsius. Something to consider :)

If ambient is low 70F in my room, I can idle at 29C. Nowadays, at 80F, it sits around 33/34C on idle.

at 21c ambient I idle at 32c and load at 43c (01 system in sig)

at 35c room temperature... I idle at 51c and load at 65c.

:eek:

Someone posted a lapping thread earlier where he lapped both his thermalright ultra and his cpu. Lapping the HS prooduced a 1 Celsius lowering on load while lapping the processor lowered the load by 8 Celsius. Something to consider :)

If ambient is low 70F in my room, I can idle at 29C. Nowadays, at 80F, it sits around 33/34C on idle.

Wow that is something to consider...I'll see if I can resist

yeah i have a summer overclock, down to 2660 mhz :( . ambient temps here are murder. idling at 35c. 86f outside. too cool for a.c, too hot for my pc.:(

I spent about $90 at Jerry's and got this fantastic little window air conditioner and sheets of rigid styrofoam to insulate my windows. On a hot day I can cool my room down to about 64F with my computer off, and about 70 with my computer on and overclocked as usual. The styrofoam panels also block out light so my room is like a cave.

too hot for my pc.:(
What the hell is everyone talking about? I can understand if you have an old P4 furnace in your computer but there shouldn't be any worries if you have a Core 2 Duo.

All these sad faces :( but no one seems to be reporting that their computer is crashing.

While gaming or doing whatever it is you do with your computer why not post a SpeedFan screen shot of your temps or show us what your maximum CoreTemp is.

If you have a C2D and it's hitting 80C and you're losing stability then maybe it's time to start worrying but there isn't any reason to turn down your overclock if it's still running rock solid stable.

we keep the house ~74-76 F during the summer, unless we're leaving for a while, in which case I shut the PC off anyways.

I only have a 4C delta on my stock clocks anyways(31->35C, athlon 3500+)

I might need to look into one of those window ACs. Now it is dark out and 62F (room is still about 70-75F though - takes a while to cool down, better than the 85F it hit earlier) my idle have dropped to 38-39C.

Maybe I'll just need "day-time" and "night-time" overclocks.

I might also look into lapping, though I really, really hate having to remove and re-seat my heat sink.

By the way W6... I did overclock my chip more before - I did 3.7Ghz with 1.56V bios (and whatever vdroop I had, don't really know)... but I did pick a night in the winter when it was like 15F outside and had my window *wide open* - load was a nice toasty 62C :D

...I did 3.7Ghz with 1.56V .... - load was a nice toasty 62C :D
Nice overclock but 62C is only warming up a C2D.
Now this is toasty:

orthos79cgv9.png

These puppies don't even start to throttle until 82C so no worries! :D

Yeah I'm not too bothered with the increased temps either, my c2d has spent the last 2 weeks 24/7 at 60C and I've had no problems.

Well my e4300 is running at stock speeds and at 50 degrees celcius :(. I live in texas but the weather has been great so far right now 70... it only has gotten hot several times, and I like the cold :D

Well I'm assuming most people are worried about damaging their CPU or decreasing the longevity...not simply system stability during the high temperature spikes.

Same problem here,as the hotter it gets the more I have to 'turn it down' :( And the funny thing is,it hasn even started to get really really hot here yet. :rolleyes: :(

yeah heat is no good.

e6400 l628a lapped ihs, fuzion. 1.49v, 3.6ghz. ambient seems to be 1:1 with load temps in my situation. 20'c ambient, load of 45-50. 25'c, load of 50-60, and 30'c, load of 55-65

Well I'm assuming most people are worried about damaging their CPU or decreasing the longevity...not simply system stability during the high temperature spikes.
Intel designed the C2D so that it can run reliably at 80C and a little beyond. Running your processor this hot does not void your 3 year warranty because you are running it within spec. If Intel was worried about a bunch of exploding cpus and a bunch of RMA claims then they wouldn't have set the throttle point so high. On some of the E4300 cpus and on all of the mobile C2D line Intel set the maximum temperature at 100C. A core reading of 80C is nothing for this architecture and is 100% safe.

Do you want more than 3 years of longevity out of your processor? Why? If it explodes after the 3 year warranty you'll be able to head to EBay and pick up an "old" C2D for next to nothing in 2010. A brand new E4300 is already down to $114 at NewEgg so in 3 years you'll be able to find a used one for about $25, max.

What the hell is everyone talking about? I can understand if you have an old P4 furnace in your computer but there shouldn't be any worries if you have a Core 2 Duo.

All these sad faces :( but no one seems to be reporting that their computer is crashing.

While gaming or doing whatever it is you do with your computer why not post a SpeedFan screen shot of your temps or show us what your maximum CoreTemp is.

If you have a C2D and it's hitting 80C and you're losing stability then maybe it's time to start worrying but there isn't any reason to turn down your overclock if it's still running rock solid stable.

i have an amd first of all, and my comp has crashed but only once, and it hit 90 outside. as for the frowny face, i just dont like higher temps. im used to idling at 27c now im up to 38-40

Intel designed the C2D so that it can run reliably at 80C and a little beyond. Running your processor this hot does not void your 3 year warranty because you are running it within spec. If Intel was worried about a bunch of exploding cpus and a bunch of RMA claims then they wouldn't have set the throttle point so high. On some of the E4300 cpus and on all of the mobile C2D line Intel set the maximum temperature at 100C. A core reading of 80C is nothing for this architecture and is 100% safe.

Do you want more than 3 years of longevity out of your processor? Why? If it explodes after the 3 year warranty you'll be able to head to EBay and pick up an "old" C2D for next to nothing in 2010. A brand new E4300 is already down to $114 at NewEgg so in 3 years you'll be able to find a used one for about $25, max.

You are right, but I was thinking of people who bought OEM since they wanted a better heatsink anyways. I guess a dead CPU is just an excuse to upgrade too.

Just be glad your parents refusing to turn on the AC didn't cost you a 360! Yup it happened to me, It was working fine then, on a really hot day (after telling my parents repeatedly it would burn up my 360) It got the 3 red lights and had to be shipped back to MS were they effed me over...but that is another story!

Well, now that that little story is over (yes I do have a reason for this post!) I was wondering what temp your room should be at in order to overclock? What is the ideal temp?

Just be glad your parents refusing to turn on the AC didn't cost you a 360! Yup it happened to me, It was working fine then, on a really hot day (after telling my parents repeatedly it would burn up my 360) It got the 3 red lights and had to be shipped back to MS were they effed me over...but that is another story!

Well, now that that little story is over (yes I do have a reason for this post!) I was wondering what temp your room should be at in order to overclock? What is the ideal temp?

Thats why you don't play the 360 over the summer... or simply get a ps3 :D

Back