Sugo 08 Chassis fan question

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
I got a p8z77-i board in a sugo08 case. On the back of the case is a switch that makes the chassis fan run at full speed or reduced speed, respectively 1200 rpm and 800 rpm. I am trying to use the mobo bios to run the fan at 1000 rpm (1200rpm is a little too loud, 800 is a little to weak). Anyway, I notice any tweaking in the bios does not affect the fan at all. Any tweaking in Windows using Asus Fan Expert has no effect either. I can control my cpu fan thru the bios just fine, but the chassis fan does not respond whatsoever. The chassis fan has a 3pin connector. Anyone have any ideas? If so, how can I get the chassis fan to run at 1000rpm?

I know it sounds dumb, but is the fan connected to the case controller or the mobo headers?
If it is on the motherboard maybe it is because it is 3pin and the header is 4pin? idk :/

The fan is connected straight to the motherboard. The motherboard is a 4pin, and the fan is 3pin. Are you not supposed to fit a 3pin into a 4pin header? It seemed to fit just fine, but maybe i'm an idiot. In the past with older mobos, I'd use the bios to run fans at 75% (4pin or 3 pin) and it always was able to reduce the juice to the fan. But maybe the P8z77-i works differently.

The Asus P8Z77-I deluxe is known to have only PWM control on the fan headers. I had the same problem with the AP141 in my FT03-mini. What I did was buy a Sunbeamtech Rheosmart PCI which converts motherboard 4-pin PWM signal to 3-pin voltage control.

The Asus P8Z77-I deluxe is known to have only PWM control on the fan headers. I had the same problem with the AP141 in my FT03-mini. What I did was buy a Sunbeamtech Rheosmart PCI which converts motherboard 4-pin PWM signal to 3-pin voltage control.

Well, that clears up alot of things. SO u need an extra pci card just to convert pwm to 3pin with voltage control? I still got one of these fan controllers with a little turn knob back when i had a zalman 9500. Maybe I could use that to tune it to 1000rpm's.

The Rheosmart is not a whole card, just a tiny PCB mounted on an expansion bracket. You don't actually need the 'little turn knob' either, just switch it to PWM control. Then you can stick it somewhere inside the case with Velcro or some such :)

Back