• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions with getting Server Space?

Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
973
Well, the company I work for did something really dumb. Instead of getting seperate harddrives and using them as network drives, they took the server drive, which is 33gb (older server) and partitioned it. They gave the server 4gb of space, and teh rest is allocated to the D drive, which some people use for stuff apperantly. The problem is that the server partition is FUll, it has no space whatsoever. What could I do? Can I resize the partitions? Maybe Image the whole drive and replace it with a bigger one?
 
I was thinking about Partition magic, about to download it now. Will it let me do what I need via trial version? Does it work on Server 03
 
Any time you talk about resizing partitons you want to be EXTREMELY careful about the data stored on any of the partitions you're resizing.

That being said, my opinion is that partition magic is one of the best utilities for doing what you're thinking about. Another good one is called Disk Director from Acronis. Depending on your space requirements, you might consider getting more space, or moving to some kind of more robust storage solution (SAN or NAS).
 
Any time you talk about resizing partitons you want to be EXTREMELY careful about the data stored on any of the partitions you're resizing.

That being said, my opinion is that partition magic is one of the best utilities for doing what you're thinking about. Another good one is called Disk Director from Acronis. Depending on your space requirements, you might consider getting more space, or moving to some kind of more robust storage solution (SAN or NAS).

I did some research, Partition Magic does not have Server 03 on their Supported OS list. I checked out the Acronis Demo and it works great, downloading the full version as we speak. We are planning on moving allo f the data to another server once we purchase a new one in few weeks.
 
Well, I am going to be restarting the server tomororw and installing the program that I need. My worry is with the fact taht I am new there, and that is pretty much their main server, I was going to back all the data up first just in case, but what are the chances of it going bad?
 
Back it up. Be 110% sure you have reliable copies. Especially if you're job may depend on it. ;)

That's the problem, they wanted me to do it this morning, well I did not as of yet. For one the C drive itself has 1kb of free space, I can't even run install. I do not know about tjheir procedures on backups, so as I said if something goes wrong I do not want my ass to get in trouble. Once everybody comes in I will ask them about their backup procedures and attempt to back everything up so that if somethingn does mess up we can load up the backup. Any ideas on the best sort of backup? Because we will need to be able to load from another drive, I am assuming, because if that server is down, business is down.
 
To free up space on the C: partition, you can remove the Windows Update uninstall files from the C:\Windows directory (you might need to show protected system files in the Folder Options). Removing those (as long as you don't need to uninstall any old updates) should give you a little space to work with.

Regardless of what you do, you need to backup the machine and verify your backup before doing any work. I'd suggest using Acronis True Image or an older version of Ghost to make an image you can restore quickly in case of problems.

Acronis Disk Director and Partition Magic won't work with Server 2003 on the bootable primary partition, so I suggest using something like GParted to give you a little more space on that partition.
 
Ahh yes, a textbook case of a company trying to undercut the IT department by being cheap and now it's come to bite them in the ass.

Backup everying and make note of everything, you don't want to be canned over some nut job who suggested that storage method. I would even go to the extend to just copy the files over to a backup hard drive in addtion to a tape drive, since it's not many files.
 
Back
Top