Suggestions: Windows XP, SSDs, and TRIM???

Marc Ross Miller

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
69
I'm a novice when it comes to personal computers and you may have to excuse me if this topic has already been covered.

I'm going to buy a Solid State Drive as a present for my wife. We use a desktop PC with Windows XP Home.

I know that different manufacturers (Intel, OCZ) have developed support for TRIM. But
does it much matter which SSD I buy as long as TRIM is supported in Windows XP?

For example, is Intel's Toolbox and SSD Optimizer much different than OCZ's Toolbox?

Thank you again.
 
Trim is supported at the Operating System Level. XP is unfortunately not supported , so you will have to rely on whatever idle garbage collection your SSD will support. Some manufacturers have released firmware updates and apps (some of which can send trim commands, but they are not all perfect) to better manage the garbage collection in unsupported operating systems, but you still don't have true OS trim. To maintain top performance, you will probably want to do a backup/secure erase/restore once or twice a year.
 
Last edited:
I've been in the same position as you for some time now. I have to have XP for older Autocad. Intel's toolbox works great with thier SSD's as long as you are using an Intel processor and board as the toolbox can only communicate with an Intel based Sata Controller. AMD does not work.
Samsung SSD's are the only other drive with software to use with XP and the same limitations apply with the Sata controller used.
OCZ optimizer DOES NOT WORK WITH XP. I'd recommend one of the Samsung drives. I'm assuming also the you are running an 1155 P67, Z68 or Z77 setup with native Sata 6.0/gb support.
 
Last edited:
I've been in the same position as you for some time now. I have to have XP for older Autocad. Intel's toolbox works great with thier SSD's as long as you are using an Intel processor and board as the toolbox can only communicate with an Intel based Sata Controller. AMD does not work.
Samsung SSD's are the only other drive with software to use with XP and the same limitations apply with the Sata controller used.
OCZ optimizer DOES NOT WORK WITH XP. I'd recommend one of the Samsung drives. I'm assuming also the you are running an 1155 P67, Z68 or Z77 setup with native Sata 6.0/gb support.

What version of Autocad are you trying to run? Win7 XP mode or a full copy of WinXP in Virtualbox should do fine and allow you to run Win7 fulltime.
 
Autocad 2005 Land Development and yes Iv'e run it both ways you suggest with Virtualbox by far the best. The VM's of any flavor just can't run Autocad anywhere near it's potential.
I work all day with Autocad so dual booting XP and 7 is my only choice for now.
 
Back
Top