Suggestions please: quietest 5850 or Xfire 5770?

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
I had thought I had made up my mind on my video card purchase.... but I keep going back and forth. I have been using an Nvidia 8800GT with a paltry 256mb of ram...and up until now (BF BC2) the 8800 is becoming an issue with my gaming. I dont play Crysis or other high demand games, so till now I havent needed a new card.

Budget is $300-350 NO MORE (so the 5870 is not an option)

I have looked all over the place for reviews, and from what I have seen that a X-fire system of (2) 5770's sopmetimes is near the performance of a 5870 and usually better than a 5850. However, the single 5850 seems adequate for me.

I am looking for a quiet card (or cards) and dont really feel the need to overclock, so when you make suggestions please keep that in mind. I know I can add a second 5850 down the road if need be, but likely by the time that comes around, my money woul likely be better spent on whatever the next gen cards are at that point.

So after all that long-windedness, what do you think Xfire 5770 or (1) 5850, as well as the brand?

Thanks

I find the reference 5850 cooler to be plenty quiet, especially with MSI Afterburner fan control. Sure it spools up higher in games, but you're listening to gaming sounds anyways. Not an issue for me since I wear headphones, but I don't know if you're pickier than me.

Back