Suggestions please on equipment list

Thall860

Weaksauce
I have a client who would like me to install a multi-WAN router and 3 AP's at their house. They have a lot of devices in the house, laptops, desktops, iphones, ipads, HTC's, etc...

I am looking for suggestions on equipment (router, AP's) and wither or not I should worry about AP's with 2.4 and 5Ghz bands because a heavy neighborhood of wireless.

I have a client who would like me to install a multi-WAN router and 3 AP's at their house. They have a lot of devices in the house, laptops, desktops, iphones, ipads, HTC's, etc...

I am looking for suggestions on equipment (router, AP's) and wither or not I should worry about AP's with 2.4 and 5Ghz bands because a heavy neighborhood of wireless.

why milti wan ? or do you mean lan ?

What is the budget?

Astaro Home supports Multi-WAN and is free for home use. Just need to supply the hardware to run it on.

For APs I would make sure you get dual-band N.

What is the square footage of their house? 3 APs may be overkill. For my parents 2900sqft place 2 WRT610n's did the job just fine, and in fact was a bit overkill.

As far as multi WAN goes, do they want two commercial WAN connections, or do they want a WAN and a 3G fallback. Also are they trying to do load balancing or 100% uptime? There is a difference.

What I would probably do for a home environment would be a pfSense Beta 2 box (AFAIK Untangle doesn't do multiWAN options, and doesn't support 3G USB modems) and then depending on the size of the home probably 2 maybe 3 WAPs (probably WRT310 or 610ns running DD-WRT) secured with WPA2.

If it were an office with a lot of space that needed wireless I would probably do a Sonicwall TZ210W with 2 other satellite sonic points.

If it were an office with a lot of space that needed wireless I would probably do a Sonicwall TZ210W with 2 other satellite sonic points.

I just installed a 210 at my house lastnight, installed 5.8 on it, running great, might even buy a sonicpoint n unit to go along with it. Of course i have a NFR unit tho :)

I just installed a 210 at my house lastnight, installed 5.8 on it, running great, might even buy a sonicpoint n unit to go along with it. Of course i have a NFR unit tho :)

So far I have been really happy with the TZ210s. It has all the features of the NSA2400 without the price and with built in wireless has made a lot of client setups really easy.

So far I have been really happy with the TZ210s. It has all the features of the NSA2400 without the price and with built in wireless has made a lot of client setups really easy.

I didn't get the wireless, i don't want a unit with built in wireless, i wanted to use my own access point, and i am and it's working great. Now if i could get the net extender to work with ssl on my mac i would be alot further :)

Back