Suggestions Please - Case Ideas for New TR2 system

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by Elf_Boy, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

I was kinda surprised I didnt see a system building thread - seems like it would be a good topic, building systems, tricks and tips.

I am starting to spec out and put together a new TR2 system.

I always start with the case. Well I guess I already picked the CPU - in general, but the first piece I nail down to specifics is the case.

Medium to large tower, easy to work with - I have back and neck issues that make putting a system together painful enough with it on a table much less if I am crawling under a desk to change out a GPU or something.

I like having the power supply at the bottom and would need a fair number of fans and room for at least 1 radiator (AIO) dont think I would water cool the GPU but if I found one I could use an AIO with might.

I have nothing against RGB features nor would I require them.

I have a NAS with 8gb so would likely only use M.2 storage. M.2 Raid should help with level load times at least a little. :)

I already have an decent optical laying around so would need a spot for that.

What cases would you elite computer builders of [H] land suggest?

Room for a full size or even large GPU is a requirement. Roomy inside in general is nice.

I prefer to keep it under $200 but for the right case.......

Have not decided (or even researched) a motherboard or any other specific as yet.

I've heard about cases with side panels that are LCD displays? Is this real and on the market yet? Are the special side panels available - er, à la carte as it were?

Thank you everyone!!!! I truly appreciate all helpful replies.

2. _l_

_l_ Gawd

if you really don't use the optical drive and can drop it out of the build I recommend the open case I'm using ... easy on the back and looks great on the wall (Peerless ST630P TV wall mount is under $25, has 80 lb weight limit and works perfect, I think anyways and make sure to use the lag screws into a stud).

ThermalTake Core P3 TG Black

it's mid to high end, well build and comes with the riser cable and tempered glass, not the plexi other models come with

ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  3. Ebernanut

Ebernanut Gawd

It's becoming less common for cases to have spots for optical drives, it limited my recent search some but I didn't want an open case or one with poor airflow in the front which is what many of the others were so it wasn't too limiting.

I ended up with a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG for a recent build and it's definitely the nicest case to work on I've used*, they also have an Enthoo Pro that's similar but a mid tower instead of a full tower. There was lots of room to work and tons of places to run cables through to the back side making it easy to do a clean build, I also like that the front is all metal except the cover for the front ports.

The next nicest case to work on I've used and almost bought is the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition. It's nearly as large as the Luxe but much lighter, unfortunately because of this it feels a bit more flimsy. It also doesn't have quite as many cable routing options and there's no tempered glass version which is nice in cases with windows. It is much easier to access the front filter on the airflow edition of the 750d than the Phanteks case.

*A few Corsairs, a couple Cooler Masters, and couple Antecs.

4. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

5. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

I bough the Enthoo Pro M without realizing that you need to remove the optical cage to install a 360 rad in the top whereas the Luxe has enough space in the top to have the same radiator without removing the cage. The Luxe has a slot dedicated to USB ports, headphone jacks, etc. that allow the rad space whereas the Pro M has the optical drive at the top of the cage which is why it wouldn't fit. I really like both cases but just be aware of the limitations if you need that optical drive.

Ebernanut likes this.
  6. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

Good point.

I dont really have to have an optical... I just have a new one sitting in a box and it does come in handy on occasion. Prob put a nice big monitor on the new one too - best for movies.