Suggestions on setting up 2nd router on LAN

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a Linksys EA 3500 router and it does not reach the second story of my home. So, I have a NetGear WGR614 I would like to add to my network to have wifi upstairs. How specifically can I add the NetGear without causing problems on my network? It looks like both the Linksys and NetGear use 192.168.1.1 as the master IP for each router. Again, specific details would be great. i.e. can both routers be set to DHCP..etc. I have worked on this a couple of times and seem to get it working somewhat, but not as good as it should be.

Thanks!

I currently have a Linksys EA 3500 router and it does not reach the second story of my home. So, I have a NetGear WGR614 I would like to add to my network to have wifi upstairs. How specifically can I add the NetGear without causing problems on my network? It looks like both the Linksys and NetGear use 192.168.1.1 as the master IP for each router. Again, specific details would be great. i.e. can both routers be set to DHCP..etc. I have worked on this a couple of times and seem to get it working somewhat, but not as good as it should be.

Thanks!
What you really want is just a Wifi access point, not another router. You may be able to get your netgear to act as just a wifi access point but you will need someone who knows that device to assist. In the mean time maybe you now have more info to google to figure it out.

It should be easy. It depends on whether you plan on wirelessly bridging the network connection or wired. It's usually as easy as turning off DHCP on the AP router and plug the second router (now AP) directly from its LAN port to the original router's LAN port.

*EDIT* You may want to change the "new" AP's IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.150 or something like that so you can easily access it. Just make sure to exclude that IP from the first routers DHCP pool. Also would be good to plug in the gateway of the first router (192.168.1.1) into the config of the second just in case.

It should be easy. It depends on whether you plan on wirelessly bridging the network connection or wired. It's usually as easy as turning off DHCP on the AP router and plug the second router (now AP) directly from its LAN port to the original router's LAN port.

*EDIT* You may want to change the "new" AP's IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.150 or something like that so you can easily access it. Just make sure to exclude that IP from the first routers DHCP pool. Also would be good to plug in the gateway of the first router (192.168.1.1) into the config of the second just in case.

Well, the way I have had it setup was hard wired. i.e. I am coming out of my Linksys with a CAT 5 cable and going into the NetGear and then running wired and wireless out of the NetGear. So, if I turn off DHCP on the NetGear then will the Linksys issue DHCP IP addresses for anything new added through the NetGear?

Well, the way I have had it setup was hard wired. i.e. I am coming out of my Linksys with a CAT 5 cable and going into the NetGear and then running wired and wireless out of the NetGear. So, if I turn off DHCP on the NetGear then will the Linksys issue DHCP IP addresses for anything new added through the NetGear?

So long as the connection between the two wireless routers is connected to one of the LAN ports and not using the WAN port of the wireless router turned AP, yes.

You pretty much want to go with this method.

Leave your primary router as is at 192.168.1.1. Somewhere in the options should be the option to set the DHCP scope. Tell it to only issue ipaddress from
192.168.1.3 thru 192.168.1.254 Then unplug your computer and jack into the 2nd router. Make the 2nd router 192.168.1.2. Then turn off its' DHCP option. That is all you have to do. Nothing more nothing less. Plug a LAN port from one router to the LAN port of the other router.

If you need to mess with your primary router the webpage is 192.168.1.1 if you need to mess with the wifi router its webpage is 192.168.1.2
There is no need to have both be DHCP. You CAN make them both DHCP but I can't think of a good reason to with your setup.

Thanks everyone for the input and tips! Going to work on it today in between ball games :D

Edited: figured out this part I was working on.

Last edited:
Just type in 192.168.1.2

What do you mean you can't type it into the browser?

Just type in 192.168.1.2

That was not working. I was changing it in the wrong place. I had to go under Settings>Lan Setup and change it there and now it is working.

This is how I have it setup now. Linksys EA 3500 is main router with DHCP on and address of 192.168.1.1 > NetGear is second router with DHCP off and address of 192.168.1.2. Now, I have a DVR camera system that I port forward on the Linksys...work this setup affect that or will it still port forward to that DVR?

That was not working. I was changing it in the wrong place. I had to go under Settings>Lan Setup and change it there and now it is working.

This is how I have it setup now. Linksys EA 3500 is main router with DHCP on and address of 192.168.1.1 > NetGear is second router with DHCP off and address of 192.168.1.2. Now, I have a DVR camera system that I port forward on the Linksys...work this setup affect that or will it still port forward to that DVR?

Port forwarding will still work since the Linksys is still the main router.

Got it setup and working smoothly. :D

Thanks all for the help, tips, and suggestions!

Back