• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions on rig?

Lamp

n00b
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
17
Hey everyone, first post here. lurked around for a while. Nice to meet everyone...

Anyways, on to the question. I built my first computer a couple months ago, and it died real bad. Smoke, the whole works..

Im givin er another try, this is what ive salvaged/purchased
I saved my Thermaltake Shark case and optical drives. Ive got a nice monitor, keyboard, speakers... Im really just trying to rebuild the system.

--AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT Socket 939
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539
--Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
--Now that ive written it out it seems I havent got much. Im looking for a good motherboard, video card, hard drive, and RAM. I previously had ASUS A8N-Sli motherboard, which I wasnt impressed with, and 1gb OCZ gold, which was alright. Id like to do 2GB.

Any suggestions would be great. The first build was a daunting task, with a dissapointing outcome, hopefully this one will be more successful.

I look forward to meeting everyone. Peace
 
Two things: What's this computer going to be used for?
What's you budget for all the components you'll need?
 
How did you get that thing to smoke up?

Anyway, if you're on a budget (I imagine you are), g.skill has pretty cheap 2x1gb sets that do pretty well. This and DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and a 7600GT would be a pretty good setup for not too much money:

Lanparty Ultra-D: 123.00
G.Skill 2gb mem: 150.00
Geforce 7600GT: 180.00
Total: 453.00
 
Right, sorry about no specifying.

Ive enrolled in Multimedia Production and Design. Its a two-year diploma at selkirk college in Nelson, BC. (if anybody cares to know). It will be used for video-editing, basic programming, general use, and gaming. Unfortunately my computer skills arent incredible, im looking to improve and ideally really figure everything out.

I have a pretty flexible budget. If I think something is worth buying, ill buy it. Not to say its unlimited, but I make good money and I dont mind spending it. I had a 7600GT, and was thinking to upgrade. Definitely want to go 2GB RAM. I want the rig to be impressive, and relatively future-proof (wishful thinking, of course)

thanks for the quick replies everyone
 
Quadnad, thanks for the info.

Not a terribly serious gamer, I usually just stick to one MMO and sometimes waste time with RTS. I like the idea of the 3800+. If I get a refund on the 3700+ I will definitely go for that. If it just gets replaced, may as well stick with 3700+. As for the motherboard, im thinking something a little beefier. I like the HD with RAID 0. However, I dont have any RAID experience... now might as well be the time to figure it out!

Like I said, the budget is pretty flexible, feel free to suggest something pricier
 
Lamp said:
Quadnad, thanks for the info.

Not a terribly serious gamer, I usually just stick to one MMO and sometimes waste time with RTS. I like the idea of the 3800+. If I get a refund on the 3700+ I will definitely go for that. If it just gets replaced, may as well stick with 3700+. As for the motherboard, im thinking something a little beefier. I like the HD with RAID 0. However, I dont have any RAID experience... now might as well be the time to figure it out!

Like I said, the budget is pretty flexible, feel free to suggest something pricier

Beefier motherboard huh? Well besides suggesting the Asus A8N-E Chunky Edition *Now with 20% MORE Beef!* I'm not totally sure what you're looking for. Any particular features missing from this motherboard that you'd like to have? It's a very stable, feature-rich, reasonable OC'er if you'd like to do a little of that, but if something is missing pipe up!

I think that if you are going to be doing a significant amount of video editing (or even if you aren't) dual core will be amazingly helpful...but if it turns out that isn't an option then thats not a terribly big deal.

As for RAID 0, if you aren't too gung-ho about the idea of running drives in a RAID array (it can be a pain in the ass if one of the drives fails), then perhaps moving to one large 10k rpm 150 gig Raptor for video editing and a 300-500gig as backup storage could be another option.
 
Quadnad, you are the man.

I hope to get dual core. It doesnt make sense for me to buy another processor if they end up refunding the 3700+. If the RMA fails, im going for dual core for sure.

The A8N-E should do great, I dont really know what more I was asking for, just something to compare it to I suppose.

Im going for the Raptor and backup, that seems like a mellow midpoint between a single drive and RAID.

Video card suggestions? I had the 6800GT and am looking to upgrade.

Peice
 
No problem man, I enjoy it.

As for your video card, it depends really on what you're looking to spend.

~$170 I'd grab a 7600GT

~$200 I'd pick up a used 7800GT

For the ~$300 range my suggestion is either the 7900GT listed up above or an x1800XT512

Beyond that, I'd move to the x1900xt, then to the 7900GTX (if you're considering SLI for the future) or x1900XTX if you want the best single-card. Below the 7600GT, you aren't going to be seeing much of a performance boost.
 
Back
Top