Suggestions on my next HD?

conscript

2[H]4U
been kind of out of it lately, as i've been pretty happy with my setup for a good 1.5-2 years now. Done a few small upgrades, cpu, mem, etc...but haven't had to format my HD in years. With Vista coming out, gonna do complete overhaul, so I can get a clean install with the new OS and change hardware cofnig all at once. Pretty much have all my bases covered, but been slacking keeping up to date with HD technology, so looking for some input.

Going to go with 2 drives, raid-0, somewhere between 320gb/500gb per drive.

What's the best SATA solution out there ya think in terms of gaming performance/reliability? Deskstars, Caviar RE2, Barracuda, etc?

ST3320620AS is an excellent choice (320GB 7200.10). I may be the first, but I wont be the last to tell you putting them in R0 without a backup of your data is dumb.

I like playing with fire... :p Seriously though, I have no data on my home PC that is mission critical, and if a hard drive fails I'll just have to end up buying a new HD and reformatting anyway, That being said, I've literally been running in raid-0 for the last 6-7 years, never had a failure or data corruption.

gjvrieze said:
I love the Seagate 7200.10s they are so great and fast to boot.

PUN PUN

Nice one dude, nice!

Seagate or western digital... Only bad times with maxtor here so far. But seagate owns 'em now, I dunno if the maxtors being sold now are actually made by seagate yet though.

I'm quite certain there are better drive configurations than 700-1000gigs in raid0. Why do you need that much storage without some sort of redundency or backup solution? It's just my opinion, but I think you should have one suicide drive (or array) and one storage drive (or array) instead of trying to compromise between them. Your suicide array can be a single Raptor or a couple Raptors in raid0 and the storage array should be a raid5 or better. Just my $0.02

I use fraps alot while playing games, use up quite a bit of hard drive space. But not a terrible option either, raid-0 two 150gb raptors, and keep a 500 GB as a third for storage of movies/music. probably the smartest idea yet...course not entirely sure how to set it up, but again, not enitrely sure what mobo I'm getting (some 680i board)

Back