Suggestions on enterprise IM monitoring?

TrueBuckeye

Most valuable "member"
Here is the deal, I need to build a report on employees IM usage, how much is business versus personal is the primary question.

I'm looking around for some sort of tool I can get to sniff and log IM's from a system which gets mirrored traffic from our proxy. Since this is short term until we decide if we want to implement an enterprise IM solution, I can't spend 10-25k on a solution like FaceTime or Akonix.

I've so far tried:

Ufasoft IM Snif - captured some (not all) packets but didn't log them in conversations and couldn't handle the traffic load
Imbrella Console - no longer sold or supported it seems
Shadow IM Sniffer - wouldn't capture packets

It doesn't have to be free, I can spend a few hundred bucks on one, but it needs to work! :)

This has to run on my current snort box, which is a pretty beefy Windows 2003 server.

Any suggestions?

This may not directly answer your question, but add to some suggested solutions.

check out a program called Instan-T , which combines personal and business IM into one solution, and offers full logging, centralized management, etc. We would have probably gone to it in place of OmniPOD, but instead the bigwigs decided to do MS Live Communications Server.

Is something like MS Live Communication Server feasible?

As far as sniffing goes, you can use a packet sniffer like WireShark (the newer version of Ethereal) and just filter out the IM traffic.

Its free, and will give you exactly what you need.

Back