Suggestions on a cheap medium-small switch?

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
I'm in the market for a 8- or 16-port switch. Gigabit would be nice, I don't mind used, I like cheap, reliable, fast, and quiet in that order. I have no particular biases; anything that works well is okay with me. So, any suggestions?

Netgear GS108 - 8 Port 10/100/1000 Switch
This is not the cheapest switch, but it is a good one.

The GS108 is a fantastic choice. No fans to make it noisy, and reliable as all hell. I used to image up to about 40 machines at a time with 4Gb (ish) Ghost images and plugged up the network like crazy. I burned up a Linksys 8pt GigE in no time (and a couple old Intel jobs).

The three GS108's and one of its larger 24-port rack-mountable brethren NEVER gave me any issues. Wish I would have put those in first!

You may want to take a look at the Dell switches. They offer a web-managed (but managed) 8 port gig switch fro $80.

My brother has the GS108, and I have a GS105. They're nice enough when they work, but I've had trouble with mine overheating, and my brother's has a dead port on it. I guess if they're working for other people I just got unlucky. Still, are there any other suggestions? I have one in-person recommend for SMC; any opinions one way or the other?

I wish Dell would have one of those "8 port free" sales I've seen and passed on before. 16 ports for $80 would be amazing.

There is an HP procurve 8 port 10/100/100 switch on Newegg for around $80 that is very good.
HP Procurve switches are comparable, if not better than Dell Powerconnect switches.

Back