Suggestions needed for gaming headset.

M0710NM4N

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a quality headset (with mic) that has the 3.5mm plugs to use with the Soundblaster AE-7 soundcard. Would be used for gaming and my budget would be anywhere up to about $500.

$500 for a gaming headset... sheesh.

Get whatever cans you want and then get a add-on mic or the included in-line MIC if the cans you get have this already. That way will be light years ahead of any gaming headset.

Right now I am using Sennheiser HD630VB cans with the built-in in-line MIC and they sound great and the in-line MIC works fine for gaming. I did have to get an adapter to split it from the combined headphone/MIC jack to separate jacks.

Well I know adding a budget is usually expected so that of course the highest I would be willing to spend, but always nice to be able to keep it below that. And I prefer to not get 2 seperate pieces of hardware. Nothing new/newer out that would fit the bill?

Not sure... but I looked at reviews for pretty much all the gaming headsets I could find for a few days. Even the stupid high priced ones had a lot of reviews that said they broke in a short time or that the MIC was crap or that they were uncomfortable or that the tech support sucked big time / RMA was a joke when they broke.

Looking at the Sennnheiser GSP 600 and the reviews say that things break on them and the ear pads come un-stitched.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GSP-600-Professional-Headset/dp/B078VM929R

The Sennheiser Game Zero seem to be ok-ish IF you don't get the Amazon version.. but there are a few quality issue reviews on those as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G...KNPYAEY/ref=psdc_402053011_t4_B078VM929R?th=1

The same goes for every single other high end brand gaming headsets that I could find. The gaming headsets are just made super crappily compared to their regular headphones.

They make them out of cheap plastic, poor drivers, poor earpads, etc. I must have spent 16+ hours looking at headset reviews before finally saying "screw it" and buying a used set of HD630VB.

If you want a good gaming headset, you are pretty much stuck with getting good cans and a MIC or a set of cans that has an in-line MIC. At least that is my opinion after spending a ton of time trying to find a good gaming headset.

Plus, if you have a separate set of cans and an add-on MIC if one fails you don't have to replace the whole setup.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I'll be honest... I have always been a fan of the Astros or at least how they look. But I've always been turned off by the mic. Not only do I think the mic sounds slightly muffled but have also seen a lot of complaints about the mic drooping (over time) with the way it's plugged in vs permanent.

Not sure... but I looked at reviews for pretty much all the gaming headsets I could find for a few days. Even the stupid high priced ones had a lot of reviews that said they broke in a short time or that the MIC was crap or that they were uncomfortable or that the tech support sucked big time / RMA was a joke when they broke.

Looking at the Sennnheiser GSP 600 and the reviews say that things break on them and the ear pads come un-stitched.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GSP-600-Professional-Headset/dp/B078VM929R

The Sennheiser Game Zero seem to be ok-ish IF you don't get the Amazon version.. but there are a few quality issue reviews on those as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G...KNPYAEY/ref=psdc_402053011_t4_B078VM929R?th=1

The same goes for every single other high end brand gaming headsets that I could find. The gaming headsets are just made super crappily compared to their regular headphones.

They make them out of cheap plastic, poor drivers, poor earpads, etc. I must have spent 16+ hours looking at headset reviews before finally saying "screw it" and buying a used set of HD630VB.

If you want a good gaming headset, you are pretty much stuck with getting good cans and a MIC or a set of cans that has an in-line MIC. At least that is my opinion after spending a ton of time trying to find a good gaming headset.

Plus, if you have a separate set of cans and an add-on MIC if one fails you don't have to replace the whole setup.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Arctis Pro (without GameDac)... still up in the air and looking around but so far thats what I'm at the very least... considering.

I'll be honest... I have always been a fan of the Astros or at least how they look. But I've always been turned off by the mic. Not only do I think the mic sounds slightly muffled but have also seen a lot of complaints about the mic drooping (over time) with the way it's plugged in vs permanent.
Then don't buy a set. But by far the best headset I have used in the last 5 years.

I'm looking for a quality headset (with mic) that has the 3.5mm plugs to use with the Soundblaster AE-7 soundcard. Would be used for gaming and my budget would be anywhere up to about $500.

• What kind of games do you usually play (FPS, RTS, etc)?
  • And will you be using your headset for things other than gaming? If so, how frequently? (for example, 50% gaming/40% music/10% movies)
  • Audio preferences (more thumping, more clarity/detail, balanced between both, etc)
  • Closed-back or open-back? (closed usually helps with sound/noise isolation, open with soundstage & hearing your significant other's demands)

• What kind of games do you usually play (FPS, RTS, etc)?
  • And will you be using your headset for things other than gaming? If so, how frequently? (for example, 50% gaming/40% music/10% movies)
  • Audio preferences (more thumping, more clarity/detail, balanced between both, etc)
  • Closed-back or open-back? (closed usually helps with sound/noise isolation, open with soundstage & hearing your significant other's demands)

I would say 90% FPS, 5% RTS and 5% 3rd Person.
100% for gaming as I just use my speakers for music, movies etc.
Mostly balanced but a little thump never hurt anyone.
Closed-back... significant others demands while gaming is why I'm twice divorced lol.
Still got my eye on the Arctis Pro (non GameDac wired version) but not 100% sold on it as of yet.

I would say 90% FPS, 5% RTS and 5% 3rd Person.
100% for gaming as I just use my speakers for music, movies etc.
Mostly balanced but a little thump never hurt anyone.
Closed-back... significant others demands while gaming is why I'm twice divorced lol.
Still got my eye on the Arctis Pro (non GameDac wired version) but not 100% sold on it as of yet.

• The Cooler Master MH751 fits all your needs to a tee, and for a lot less than $500 as well; the sound quality on the MH751 slaps the Arctis Pro silly. Another plus is that the MH751 is one of the most comfortable headsets or headphones you will ever wear -- seriously. I own a MH751, and can attest to it. Cooler Master MH751
  • If you want an even better headphone than the MH751, then the Sennheiser HD630VB that cyclone3d suggested is the logical upgrade from the MH751 (I own a HD630VB as well; it's a great headphone): Sennheiser HD 630VB -- as cyclone3d said, keep in mind that you will need an adapter to split it from the combined headphone/mic jack to separate jacks. You might also want to include a cable extender as the HD630VB's cord is pretty short (1m, or about 3.28ft). The HD630VB includes a bass boost dial, which is great if you want "refined" bass boosting with adjustability.
Anything more than those, and you're heading into options that either won't use your Soundblaster AE-7, would need a separate mic, or would be very cost prohibitive. Nevertheless, let me toss out this very good option to you (which would still be well within your budget, with room to spare): AKG Pro Audio Bundle

The headphone in that bundle is the exceptional AKG K371 (excellent for any purpose you throw at it, including gaming), and the mic is the well-regarded AKG Lyra.

*Note: all options above are closed-back*

Last edited:

I actually wouldn't be so quick to condemn the MH751, since the manufacturer (who isn't Cooler Master, but Takstar, btw) also makes the Kingston HyperX series (excepting the Orbit line, which is made by Audeze for Kingston) and is an OEM for both Sony and Beyerdynamic (produced Sony's MDR-1A/MDR-1AM2 as well as Beyerdynamic's DT 770/880/990s). I don't really hear too much about the manufacturing "defects" of the MDR-1A/MDR-1AM2 or the DT 770s/880s/990s.

Essentially, the MH751 is a modified version of the Sony MDR-1A, but tuned neutrally with a slight bass bump and wider soundstage for gaming (MDR-1A is tuned with a good-sized bass boost). Or, to be more exact, the MH751 is Takstar's Pro 82 v2 (which itself is a near-direct copy of the MDR-1A), but missing the Pro 82 v2's adjustable bass ports.

Most of the negative reviews of the MH751 on Amazon mention the build quality -- but the MDR-1A has pretty much the exact same build quality (up until 4 months ago, I owned the MDR-1A [and I've had the MH751 since June 2019], so could directly compare between the two), and rarely do I hear of a build quality complaint about the MDR-1A ... do I think the MH751 is slightly inferior to the MDR-1A in terms of build quality? Yes (slightly). Do I think the MH751 is cheap crap? Absolutely not (that's Beats, and *Beats copies* territory).

The sad truth is, Amazon reviews (or other reviews) need to be taken with a small mountain of salt ... when the HD630VB originally came out, lots of bad "reviews" howled about its poor sound quality, etc -- and yet, many objective reviews proved them wrong (when I *carefully* checked out the graphs/tests, I ignored the naysayers and bought the HD630VB a number of years back -- I'm glad I did). DIYAudioheaven (one of the best reviewers out there, even after metal571's comments [which I actually happen to agree with, to some extent]) tested out the HD630VB and it passed, doing quite well, actually.

Just for some fun comparisons:
DIYAH's Sony MDR-1A Review
DIYAH's Takstar Pro 82 Review
DIYAH's Sennheiser HD630VB Review
DIYAH's AKG K371 Review

My recommendation: OP should do the following (since his budget is $500) --

• Buy both the HD630VB and the AKG Pro Audio Bundle
  • Briefly try out both, and choose the one he likes best, returning the one he doesn't like back to Amazon
The only issue is that the OP wants his headphone to have a mic on it, so there is that caveat ... so OP could buy the MH751 and the HD630VB and compare both, returning what they don't like.

Yeah.. I looked at a lot of reviews of the HD630VB before I pulled the trigger. Most of the negative stuff in the reviews was about the Variable Bass and the control buttons which apparently some of the reviewers didn't even know how to use... and the switch for the controls to change between iOS and Andriod... people can't even read simple instructions it seems.

I had been using the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 over ear before that but then my kid's cheapo headset started acting up so I upgraded and passed the Momentum cans on to him. .. or at least to use.

The HD630VB is incredibly so much better than the Momentum.... and the Momentum is a pretty nice set.

I also ended up with a set of Momentum 2.0 over ear. They are a bit more comfortable than the Momentum 1.0 but they don't have quite enough clamping pressure for my head size so if I want them to sound better, I have to manually push on them just a tiny bit.

In any case, the MH571 may be good for a lot of people but the amount of reviews that mentioned build quality and them breaking after a short while turned me off to them. And the reviews that mentioned very poor customer support did as well. I like my stuff to last and I have had well reviewed stuff in the past that didn't last nearly as long as it should have for the price.. so I always look at the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what people have to say about them. Even if there are a huge number of 4-5 star reviews they must be taken with a grain of salt, especially on Amazon, as a lot of those are paid and fake and also from people who just got the item they put a review up for without actually waiting to see how they actually hold up over time.

The 1 and 2-star reviews are very telling though. When I see multiple reviews that complain about the same exact issues than I kinda think that there is truth to those issues.

Who knows.. maybe they have fixed those issues. Maybe they just had a bad batch or batches. Maybe they have more than one manufacturing facility where they are made and the quality differs between those.

Maybe they even have different quality ones on purpose depending on who they sell them to... kinda like how Walmart has crappier versions of some stuff such as the lids on Pyrex glass containers. Buy a set at Walmart and the lids will break. Buy a set from a different store, such as Kohl's or Bed, Bath & Beyond and the lids hold up for years and years.

For all we know, some of those that got bad reviews on Amazon could even be counterfeit.

I like my hyperx cloud headset, except the mic is pretty sensitive and isn't directional. You can swap it though, so its not a deal breaker.

Its the first headset that didn't destroy my ears or feel like I was wearing mini-saunas. Sound quality is good, imo, but I don't have a soundblaster or stereo, nor any other mid-upper tier phones to compare them with.

Two options for 'audiophile' headsets:

Beyerdynamic MMX-300:
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/mmx-300.html

Audeze LCD-GX:
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-gx

Be careful when looking up the price of the second one...

Man if I had the cash to pick up those Audeze... I put it in my favorites so maybe in the future I can treat myself. lol

As for the MMX-300... I'm seriously considering them now. Still not 100% sold. I'm wondering though how these will sound with my Sound Blaster AE-7 because I have seen in my Google searching a lot of complaints about low volume and people suggesting to use a MixAmp like from Astro? I know nothing about this stuff but I'm assuming the mixamp is the soundcard and plugs into PC with USB? Do I have that right?

Two options for 'audiophile' headsets:

Beyerdynamic MMX-300:
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/mmx-300.html

Audeze LCD-GX:
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-gx

Be careful when looking up the price of the second one...
Man if I had the cash to pick up those Audeze... I put it in my favorites so maybe in the future I can treat myself. lol

As for the MMX-300... I'm seriously considering them now. Still not 100% sold. I'm wondering though how these will sound with my Sound Blaster AE-7 because I have seen in my Google searching a lot of complaints about low volume and people suggesting to use a MixAmp like from Astro? I know nothing about this stuff but I'm assuming the mixamp is the soundcard and plugs into PC with USB? Do I have that right?

Only "knock" about the Audeze LCD-GX is that it's open-back (as per OP's requirements) ... apart from that, it's the Holy Grail of ultra high end, "audiophile" gaming headsets atm. The MMX 300 is a solid choice, though (based off of the DT 770) -- it will work fine with your AE-7 as that has a pretty decent headphone amp.

The "MixAmp" they are talking about is the Astro Gaming one (which I wouldn't recommend -- there are many better and cheaper ones out there).

MixAmp is a mixer and amplifier solution, with a few presets I guess. Changes the volume of various frequencies (mix) for a better sound clarity, bass, etc. depending on what your listening to. Also adjusts overall volume(amp).

Only "knock" about the Audeze LCD-GX is that it's open-back (as per OP's requirements) ... apart from that, it's the Holy Grail of ultra high end, "audiophile" gaming headsets atm. The MMX 300 is a solid choice, though (based off of the DT 770) -- it will work fine with your AE-7 as that has a pretty decent headphone amp.

The "MixAmp" they are talking about is the Astro Gaming one (which I wouldn't recommend -- there are many better and cheaper ones out there).

Yea I looked around and the issue of "low volume" was related to not enough power getting to the cans. Then I saw someone else mention that there is apparently 2 versions of the MMX 300s... 32 ohm and a 600 ohm. Per Beyerdynamics "In general we do reccomend the 32 ohms version. You can use it with a receiver/amplifier as well as on a PC, notebook, console or mobile devices. In terms of sound you won't have any losses compared to the 600 ohms version. If you only want to use the headset on a very powerful sound card or amplifier, then - and only then - you can also consider to buy the 600 ohms version."

The question stands... will the AE-7 for sure be enough power? And what about these 2 ohm versions? My head is spinning.

MixAmp is a mixer and amplifier solution, with a few presets I guess. Changes the volume of various frequencies (mix) for a better sound clarity, bass, etc. depending on what your listening to. Also adjusts overall volume(amp).

But you connect your headset to the mixamp and then the mixamp connects to the PC via... USB?

But you connect your headset to the mixamp and then the mixamp connects to the PC via... USB?
Looks like USB and TOSlink (in back) and maybe a 3.5mm aux input in the front according to the specs. Thats for the new version, havent looked at the old model specs.

Please don't waste your time and money on any gaming headset. Just get a decent external microphone (e.g. audiotechnica at2020) with an arm and a pair of good headphones like the Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee. I have the Astro A50 Gen 3 and Gen 4, Hyper X Alphas and a myriad of other gaming headsets and they are ALL TRASH. Believe me, as soon as I put on my Sennheisers and fired up Apex, all of the sudden I could hear footsteps that I couldn't with my Astros and it became a major game changer--almost like I suddenly had ESP. The imaging (which is important for games, especially FPS) just annihilates any of these gaming headsets and even most audiophile headphones until you start pushing $500+ territory.

Heck I have people question me all the time about how I hear certain things and that was on Sound Blaster Z card and cheap $40 Plantronics headset. I quite often would be like... don't you hear that? And everyones like... Hear what?

Anyway. I'm gonna be honest... I'm OCD and I'm having issues trying to envision having this big old microphone taking up space on my desk or on an arm thats all jacked up in my face blocking my view while gaming. Not to mention I want to use my Sound Blaster AE-7 for both and just make it simple, rather than extra cords and more things to move when I have to clean and with a "headset"... it's all in one. No need to worry about "extra" stuff like MixAmps and so forth.

I guess I might be open to using another mic... as long as it plugs into my AE-7? I dunno... I just like to keep things simple. All that "extra" might be worth it if I was streaming, but not just trying to play a game an enjoy the company of my friends.

I highly recommend the Hyper X Cloud Alpha. $100 and has excellent sound quality, the mic have very good sound quality and they are the most comfortable set of cans I've ever used. They get rave reviews on every site/channel that reviews them and they have em at Best Buy which I like cause it's easier to take them back if you have a problem.

I know audio is very subjective but I've owned gaming headsets from Corsair, Logitech a generic set off Amazon and some Sennheiser 558's and the Alphas are head and shoulders above them all in sound, looks, buikd quality and comfort.

Please don't waste your time and money on any gaming headset. Just get a decent external microphone (e.g. audiotechnica at2020) with an arm and a pair of good headphones like the Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee. I have the Astro A50 Gen 3 and Gen 4, Hyper X Alphas and a myriad of other gaming headsets and they are ALL TRASH. Believe me, as soon as I put on my Sennheisers and fired up Apex, all of the sudden I could hear footsteps that I couldn't with my Astros and it became a major game changer--almost like I suddenly had ESP. The imaging (which is important for games, especially FPS) just annihilates any of these gaming headsets and even most audiophile headphones until you start pushing $500+ territory.
While I recommended two headsets, and one mostly in jest, I do want to echo what 5150Joker is saying here: a good pair of cans and a good microphone will obliterate any headset.

As noted above, the MMX-300 is based on the DT770 32Ohm which itself isn't an expensive set of cans. Now, the MMX-300 is probably still the best put together solution, but at US$500 you can go get Massdrop's DT177X GO, based on the DT1770 and tuned for a more balanced output including for gaming, and have the cash left over for a good mic.

Also, the mic on the Audeze LCD-GX is trash. You're mostly paying for a lighter-weight set of Audeze high-end cans tuned for gaming instead of music (LCD-2C) or mixing (LCD-X). You'd still want a good mic to go with them.
Not to mention I want to use my Sound Blaster AE-7 for both and just make it simple
Leave it to Creative to put the DACs and amps in the PC and then run an analog godsdamned I/O pod out to the desktop. This is a flashy consumer convenience product, not a product designed for quality audio.

You'd be far better off with a Mayflower Arc Mk. II, or even Creative's own new X3.

I can't even imagine what kind of headphones you would get for $500. Way out of my league here. Good Luck audiophiles.

Also, the mic on the Audeze LCD-GX is trash. You're mostly paying for a lighter-weight set of Audeze high-end cans tuned for gaming instead of music (LCD-2C) or mixing (LCD-X). You'd still want a good mic to go with them.

I wouldn't say the Audeze LCD-GX's mic is "trash" (compared to other gaming headsets): it's just not worthy of being included in a headphone that sets you back 900 smackaroos (what was Audeze thinking? Convenience, I guess). Truth is, most gaming headsets have crappy mics as well: the exception being (unsurprisingly) Sennheiser & Beyerdynamic (Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, PC 37x, GSP500, etc. & Beyerdynamic Custom Game/MMX 300, etc.). Audio-Technica's gaming offerings I find to be kind of a "mixed bag" (looking at you, ATH-PDG1, ATH-G1, ATH-ADG1x, etc.), which is why I can't really recommend them (their downsides balance out their upsides, making them more "kinda mediocre" than they should really be).

So, the LCD-GX's mic:
  • Compared to other gaming headsets from other (non audio) companies? Better than most, matches some, slightly worse than the rest.
  • Compared to Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic top gaming headsets? Yes, not good, even pretty bad -- definitely a downgrade by any measure (my GSP 500's mic is actually quite good; comparable to that of my PC 360 G4ME, and decently competitive with low/mid-end standalone mics).
  • Compared to solid-to-good standalone condenser mics: Yeah, terribad, no contest there!
------------------

Just for fun: a true FPS-oriented, "respected by all" headphone setup would be the Sennheiser HD 800/800s + a pretty solid mic (Rode NT-USB, possibly)? That'll set you back around $1570 USD before tax, though ($1399 for HD800/800s + $169 for the Rode NT-USB). Unbeatable soundstage & imaging, but the HD 800/800s is open-back (HD 820, the closed-back variant, seems to have been a disappointment for all closed-back lovers).

Just for fun: a true FPS-oriented, "respected by all" headphone setup would be the Sennheiser HD 800/800s + a pretty solid mic (Rode NT-USB, possibly)? That'll set you back around $1570 USD before tax, though ($1399 for HD800/800s + $169 for the Rode NT-USB). Unbeatable soundstage & imaging, but the HD 800/800s is open-back (HD 820, the closed-back variant, seems to have been a disappointment for all closed-back lovers).

Yep the 800 is the only one I'd recommend over the HD 58x but the cost is insanely high even for a used pair. For the $150-$500 range I'd go with HD 58x though. Though if someone is going to drop $1500+ on such a setup, they might as well get a Rode PSA + Shure mic.

Doh! Forgot to mention a very good gaming option from Beyerdynamic: Beyerdynamic Team TYGR Gaming/Content Creating Bundle
Have heard a LOT of good things about it re: gaming -- not surprising as it's the "logical" upgrade from the MMX 300: it uses the DT 990 as its base (vs the DT 770 of the MMX 300 -- kind of a "taste" difference , but the DT 990 is generally better for long-term sessions, b/c it's less tiring to listen to) but DT 990s are generally considered better for FPS gaming) with a much better microphone. The bundle is the same price as the MMX 300, too.
It is open-back, though ...

Last edited:
Are there no quality mics that would just use an existing sound card vs USB? That's still the direction I want to go with. I know the AE-7's Controller is crap which is why I don't even have it hooked up. I want the mic and headset/headphones connected to the AE-7.

Are there no quality mics that would just use an existing sound card vs USB? That's still the direction I want to go with. I know the AE-7's Controller is crap which is why I don't even have it hooked up. I want the mic and headset/headphones connected to the AE-7.
Actually...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U86RBU8/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Didn't know that this specific model existed, but it looks just about perfect with the suggested VMODA boom mic. And it's pretty cheap!

I just switched to A40s from some more expensive wireless because I wanted corded - too many issues with wireless and switching between headphone/speaker output. So far they're quite good and would recommend checking them out.

I just switched to A40s from some more expensive wireless because I wanted corded - too many issues with wireless and switching between headphone/speaker output. So far they're quite good and would recommend checking them out.

Was ready to get the GSP 600 but not sure now with some of the reviews I've been reading in terms of their durability.

I was looking at the A40's but been hard finding people that have used it without the mixamp and using it with a solid sound card to get a good impression of their opinion. These give me flash backs from yrs ago with how I always liked and wanted an Alienware system and then when I get one it ends up being garbage. Are you using these with or without a mixamp? And if without... what are running them with?

Was ready to get the GSP 600 but not sure now with some of the reviews I've been reading in terms of their durability.

I was looking at the A40's but been hard finding people that have used it without the mixamp and using it with a solid sound card to get a good impression of their opinion. These give me flash backs from yrs ago with how I always liked and wanted an Alienware system and then when I get one it ends up being garbage. Are you using these with or without a mixamp? And if without... what are running them with?

No mixamp - thought about it, but decided I wouldn't use the features and it would just take up space on my desk. It's hooked up to a Sound Blaster X3 which I also purchased because it has easy switching between the regular 5/7.1 outputs on the back and the headset outputs on the front. Build quality is good, and more importantly, they're comfortable. A hardware mic mute switch is on the cord. I read a fair number of reviews on other gaming headsets - didn't really pay much attention to price, just wanted something solid and the A40s seemed like the way to go. I had a set of A50s in the past (wireless), and these are nearly the same, just with a cord. I would offer those up for free, but I just sent someone here a Samsung View tablet for the cost of postage - not even a "thanks" and they certainly haven't given me the $20 it cost to send it.

Actually...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U86RBU8/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Didn't know that this specific model existed, but it looks just about perfect with the suggested VMODA boom mic. And it's pretty cheap!

Yeah, Beyerdynamic's Custom line are all built like tanks -- had the Custom Studio some years back and the build quality was rock-solid. Bass adjusters were fun to play with (if not as precise as that of the Sennheiser HD 630VB).

Not really so sure about some of those GSP 600 "reviews" on Amazon -- some look like they were deliberately ripped open on the seams (from their photos). I have a GSP 500 (near-exact external build design as the GSP 600) and that thing is very sturdily built from top to bottom -- pad stitching is very well done.

There are times that I swear rival companies are posting up random "reviews" of competitors' products under assumed names on Amazon -- that Asylum Escapee person says he takes care of his gear, but one look at the pads tells me otherwise (cracked velour in 7 months? it's actually quite hard to do that with lots of normal wear and tear -- it doesn't usually crack, but fall off or fade -- it does get "greasy" if you don't regularly clean it). Also didn't see the Sennheiser logo inside the earcups. Those kind of reviews would make one think that it's Hifiman quality, not Sennheiser quality, in headphone builds ...

The GSP 500/600 line IS uncomfortable if you have a big head, though (I can easily attest to that), and wear it for more than 2hrs -- even the stress adjusters on top of the headphone don't really help in that regard. It's the lack of comfort that prevents me from suggesting the GSP 500/600 line. Shame, because the sound quality is pretty good (good soundstage/imaging), build quality is good (not Beyerdynamic tank style, but probably the next best thing), and has a good mic. Sennheiser worked with EPOS to develop the GSP line, so my guess is that EPOS is responsible for the "oddities" -- no idea who did what, though.

While I recommended two headsets, and one mostly in jest, I do want to echo what @5150Joker is saying here: a good pair of cans and a good microphone will obliterate any headset.

My next headset is going to be the Sennheiser 800 with a high end DAC after I get the 3080 Ti. These HD 58x started me on the slippery slope of audio addiction. It's too bad the OP isn't starting with HD 58x like I suggested, I just got done listening to this with my Astro A50 Gen 4 vs my Sennheiser HD 58x and the Astros muddied everything and generally sounded like dog shit compared to the HD 58x:

For other HD 58x owners in this thread, I'm using Peace APO with this guys parametric EQ with pre-amp at 3 and it sounds fantastic: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 58X He recommends a much lower preamp than I use to avoid clipping but I found bumping it up didn't hurt things at all and just sounded better overall.

My next headset is going to be the Sennheiser 800 with a high end DAC
Honestly, after the HD600 pair I own -- which I ain't giving up! -- I'm not in a hurry to run up Sennheiser's chain. My Focal Elex really do what I want there if I want something a little more open, while retaining the low end that the HD800 just outright ignores. I'd likely push higher up Focal's range if not Audeze's or Hifiman's.

That's not to knock the HD800 for what they do well, and in that facet they really do stand alone, but it's not something that I'm honestly finding myself in need of ;).

Even with my closed DT177X GO set, I have no problem locating people. Those and the Elex live at my gaming desktop powered by the Topping DX7s, and while 'better' solutions have since been released, it's still honestly overkill for what I need too.

[I'd upgrade the Topping if they ever decided to allow the current line outputs to be run as preamps, as apparently almost no one has thought that might be useful!]

Honestly, after the HD600 pair I own -- which I ain't giving up! -- I'm not in a hurry to run up Sennheiser's chain. My Focal Elex really do what I want there if I want something a little more open, while retaining the low end that the HD800 just outright ignores. I'd likely push higher up Focal's range if not Audeze's or Hifiman's.

That's not to knock the HD800 for what they do well, and in that facet they really do stand alone, but it's not something that I'm honestly finding myself in need of ;).

Really surprised that Sennheiser hasn't tried to develop/produce a headphone to fit in between the HD 660s ($399) and HD 800/800s ($1399) -- that's a gigantic gap just begging to be filled (and which Sennheiser's competition has been filling up for quite some time). I like much of what Sennheiser has to offer; I'm not so sure about their business decisions ...

IMHO, given the extreme competitiveness of the headphone market over the past 5 years, the HD 600/650/6xx should be in the $149 range category, the HD 660s in the $299 range, and 2 headphones to fill in the gap between that and the HD 800/800s (which is still priced appropriately for what it has to offer).

Back