Suggestions for Windows folder redirection?

t_ski

Supreme [H]ardness
We currently have a Windows domain that has one main file server where, among other things, user data is stored for folder redirection. These folders are called by the Windows 7 clients, and redirect desktops and My Documents, as well as provides a location for other storage for individual users.

The dilemma is this being the single point of failure: if this server goes down, the desktops become slow and unresponsive. We are starting to plan for a server migration and are considering other ways to implement this to prevent those issues, allowing us to do more proactive maintenance and improve end-user experience.

At one point in the past, we had a two-server cluster based on Server 2003. One server was physical and one virtual. The cluster was either not implemented correctly or just plain sucked, as the system would still be unavailable at times and cause issues.

The current plan is to go with Server 2012 R2 for the OS. Is Microsoft clustering any better at this point? Are there other options that might be viable? I've heard that there are sync issues with a DFS that can be a problem for us, especially since we have multiple users that can be logged into several devices at once.

We also have contemplated splitting up the users along two or more file servers, but that might be a configuration nightmare having to go through and change all those accounts in AD and move their data around to the new location.

If it helps any, we have about 2500 users, and I have a large infrastructure at my disposal, including several SAN arrays, VMware environment and even a spare physical server I could use. If you need more info, please ask and I'll do my best to provide. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I would never use profile redirection except for RDP based system, and even then there are better work around now days. If you are only using Document redirection, Windows 7 or newer should be enabling Sync Center by default to handle times when the server is offline.

I would not cluster the servers. It would be easier to set up a domain based DFS. Point the DFS root to both servers and enabled replication. The servers will stay in sync and if one goes down you still have full access. It's a lot easier to set up and maintain than a cluster.

Maybe I worded it wrong: technically speaking we are using the "home folder" setting in AD for each user object to map to their individual/personal drive, and group policy does a folder redirection to have the user's desktop & documents on that personal drive. We are not using roaming profiles in AD.

As for your suggestion on DFS, do you know what the sync rate/delay is? As I stated, we have many users that are logged into multiple devices at the same time. If each device is connected to different sides of the DFS, how quickly will data from one share be available on the other? If someone saved something on their desktop from device A (connected to DFS side 1), how quickly does it does it show up on their desktop of device B (connected to DFS side 2)?

Bumping this to see if anyone else has any suggestions since bigdogchris has not replied. I also edited the OP to state what I later needed to clarify.

Did the same thing, but used a 3 host iSCSI failover cluster for shares and redirects. 2 servers can fail at once and there will only be a momentary outage as the roles move.

The SAN handles the live replication between arrays and groups.

DFS was never meant for hot data, but for stale AD partition data. It does work, but I have noticed colleagues that use it in this fashion spend a lot of time tinkering and adjusting it.

Maybe I worded it wrong: technically speaking we are using the "home folder" setting in AD for each user object to map to their individual/personal drive, and group policy does a folder redirection to have the user's desktop & documents on that personal drive. We are not using roaming profiles in AD.
Great, that's what I would recommend doing.
As for your suggestion on DFS, do you know what the sync rate/delay is? As I stated, we have many users that are logged into multiple devices at the same time. If each device is connected to different sides of the DFS, how quickly will data from one share be available on the other? If someone saved something on their desktop from device A (connected to DFS side 1), how quickly does it does it show up on their desktop of device B (connected to DFS side 2)?
File change happens within seconds after change is detected if it's within a replication schedule and there is enough bandwidth. Default should be 24/7 with all available bandwidth.

Edit Replication Schedules and Bandwidth.

Great, that's what I would recommend doing.File change happens within seconds after change is detected if it's within a replication schedule and there is enough bandwidth. Default should be 24/7 with all available bandwidth.

Edit Replication Schedules and Bandwidth.

I know how it works, I just was making the comment that everyone I personally know spends a lot of time with replicaiton issues etc when using DFS in production. I know in 2012r2 SSpaces it has been vastly improved, but nobody I know has implemented that due to other associated costs at scale.

Actually, I think the comment and link were meant for me since I was asking about the frequency.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Hopefully we'll have something in place sooner than later.

Back