suggestions for small network app

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, what free app do you suggest which displays ip address and computer name over a windows home network? Thx.

I'll 2nd the Angry Ip Scanner. Most AV software I've had doesn't like it for some reason. I usually just put the exe in a folder and exclude that folder from the realtime scanning

Softperfect Network Scanner.

Much more user friendly then Angry IP Scanner. More features that it scans for as well. ( I despise Angry IP scanner...)

Most Angry IP Scanner users just have never heard of the SoftPerfect scanner or I'm sure it would be more popular.

Softperfect Network Scanner.

Much more user friendly then Angry IP Scanner. More features that it scans for as well. ( I despise Angry IP scanner...)

Most Angry IP Scanner users just have never heard of the SoftPerfect scanner or I'm sure it would be more popular.

I've always used angry......and no, I haven't heard of the SoftPerfect scanner. But I'm going to try it.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's amazing the crapload of ip's used these days between pc's, notebooks, printers, voip, dish network, network hard drives, etc ...

^^ LOL. When I think of The Dude, only one person comes to mind:

TheDude.jpg

I log into my router and look..

At work I check dhcp leases:p

Between both, I have an spreadsheet of static ip's, device name, etc.

Nmap doesn't do what the other apps that where mentioned do. I use Nmap after I use SoftPerfect NetworkScanner.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, but it does do what the OP wants.

Depends on how you interpret what he said.

With a network scanner (like we have been suggesting), you don't input anything. You just open it and hit scan, it finds all the computers on the network, their IP's, MAC's, NIC vendors, etc...

With Nmap, you will need an IP/hostname first for it to be useful, and even then it only scans that particular host.

Depends on how you interpret what he said.

With a network scanner (like we have been suggesting), you don't input anything. You just open it and hit scan, it finds all the computers on the network, their IP's, MAC's, NIC vendors, etc...

With Nmap, you will need an IP/hostname first for it to be useful, and even then it only scans that particular host.

Not true... With nmap you can scan a range of IP's either by specifying a numeric range (example: 192.168.1.0-255 or with a subnet like 192.168.1.0/24)... You can do a ping only to just find live hosts (at least ones that respond to pings) with -sP ... Of course nmap can do much, much more as well.

Back