Suggestions for quad SLI PSU

bassman

[H]ard|Gawd
The title says it all. I need a supply that can handle 4 G80's (most likely Quadro 5600 FX cards). I'm using a ThermalTake Toughpower 1200W to drive a system with 3 8800GTX's but it's time to add one more. The ThermalTake *might* be able to handle 4 if it had enough connectors. I really don't want to build some Y-cables or gang two power supplies together. Any suggestions?

I don't think you have much choice, apart from perhaps the Ultra 1600.
1st question if you don't mind my asking? What are you doing that requires eight screens with that much horsepower?
2nd question, which motherboard/CPU? :)

I don't think you have much choice, apart from perhaps the Ultra 1600.
1st question if you don't mind my asking? What are you doing that requires eight screens with that much horsepower?
2nd question, which motherboard/CPU? :)

Does the Ultra 1600 have enough PCIe power connectors? According to the [H] review, there are 4 6 pin and 2 8 pin connectors - enough for 3 cards.

On to your questions:

I'm using them for number crunching and image processing at work using CUDA.

I'll be using the MSI P6N Diamond for the 4 card build. At some point we will probably use the 4-GPU Tesla rackmount product instead, but for now a custom build with 4 standard cards works for development and testing (and it's cheaper).

Oh, I forgot. CPU will probably be a Q6600 now that the price has fallen.

I picked up the Ultra 1600W. I doesn't have enough PCI-e connectors for quad 8800's, but it has enough AMP drive power connectors to use adapters.

Back