Suggestions for pausing GPU client automatically when machine is in use?

styx0r

Limp Gawd
The subject spells it out, but to clarify:

I have an 8800GT GPU client running on a HTPC for a friend. He wants to fold, but I want it to be as transparent as possible for him, so HD playback is not affected.

Anyone know of a way I can setup the client (or use other software perhaps to suspend it) so that it will pause when other programs need the GPU?

I just hit a personal record 32,000 points yesterday - Folding is fun!

:)

Just as a note, I have an ATI 4850, and it just works folding or not, movies etc, just work,on the same box, I put a 8800gt and it didnt stay long, I was still running an old driver 177.35,so it could be better now, on the nvidia card if I change res or anything it blue screened.Sorry I know this doesnt help you but someone else may read this and it might them.

The other thing that you could try is to set the CPU usage down so that maybe only 80% of the gpu is used and find the balance where HD playback is flawless (it really does not take a lot of power for HD playback). Just leave it there... yeah you take a PPD hit but never have to touch it and it is purely transparent.

Ahh yes Sunin! That's the information I was looking for!

Thanks again man! You're always the one with the answers... I'm planning out my next folding box - I'm thinking quad PCI express....

Soon my folding machines are going to have more graphics power than my main rig. Hmm...

Back