Suggestions for partitioning a 3TB drive?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I've just completed building a PC that will be used for gaming, work stuff, etc. etc.

I was primary drive is a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. So that should have room for the OS, and most of my programs, games, documents, etc.

The system also has a 7200RPM 3TB HDD for storage and any programs that wouldn't fit on the SSD.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how you might partition that 3TB drive?

One big partition and just plop stuff there as you need it? Or maybe 100-300 GB partition for any programs that didn't fit on the SSD and the remainder in a big partition? Would you partition off a few gigs for a photoshop scratch drive maybe?

I've never had such a large drive before...and I'm trying to figure how best to partition it...if at all...maybe just leaving it as one piece is the best idea?

Thanks!

Unless you have a particular reason to partition the drive (photoshop scratch partition on the outside of the disk being faster than on the inside of the disk for example) you might as well just leave it as 1 partition.

as suggested by mwroobel, leaving a single partition will increase performance but that's with 3TB disk you can do partition of 1 TB each or so and it will speed up things bit better than leaving 3TB single partition.

Back