Suggestions for my Norco 4224-What to use inside

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
So I picked up a Norco-4220 a while back and did a trade for a Norco-4224.

It's bare so I am wondering what to use inside to get it up and running. Here is what I am thinking about doing because it will cost me nothing as I have these parts on hand.

Use my existing Biostar A85W motherboard with AMD A10-5800K APU, 750W PSU, and make it into my new HTPC and run FlexRAID to control the 24 drives. Seems like it will work and there will just be the one HDMI going out to my plasma. I'll still have all the functions of the HTPC but it will all just be tied into this one case. I also have the 120MM fan bracket for the center. It fits into the area where my old HTPC (Nmedia 6000B case) goes and I will give the old Mediasonic cases to family members who want to also get alot of the media I have stored.

Sounds like a plan but is there anything I am mising.

The Norco 4224 will be extremely loud for use next to a TV. (hairdryer)

Even if you switch out the fans for low-flow silent fans it is still very loud for HTPC use. (oscillating fan on max)

24 drives will be loud in a living room, no matter how low the fanspeed is. Either you place it in another room and find some way to remote control it from your couch, or you build a HTPC.

It's also a PITA to stow away in a living room most of the times. Rackmounts are too deep for any closet.

It won't be in my livingroom. it will be in the room opposite the TV in a closet. I have a closet that will take about a 6 ft HDMI run back thru the wall.

You should be good!

One thing about that case though. You will probably need to get some SATA-> molex connectors or buy some molex ends and do some custom wiring to make sure you have enough power to the drives. Very few PSUs will hook everything up correctly and safely.

Also I wouldn't put a case like that in a closet, it will create too much heat and cause the drives to fail. You need somewhere where it can get some cool air or circulation.

i have my 4220 in a closet with the door cut so the front of the rack is out in the open and i have an exhaust vent.

i tried it without the vent and the bedroom that the rack was in got SOOO HOT during the summer!

Cooling requirements depend on what you put into the case. My system with 12 HDs runs at 80w. So I could have 150w max. But you have a too large power supply which will generate a lot of waste heat and you CPU may not be the most efficient.

Sound should not be a problem. My system with 12HDs and 4 large fans (the fans are not needed for cooling, but I have them so I use them.) is quite enough to sit under my TV. Again it depends on what you use.

You will need some sort of controller board to fasten the 24HDs to.

i have my 4220 in a closet with the door cut so the front of the rack is out in the open and i have an exhaust vent.

i tried it without the vent and the bedroom that the rack was in got SOOO HOT during the summer!

Unless you vent outside the room its temperature should not change because the rack is better cooled. It can potentially have the opposite effect.

Back