Suggestions for MiniATX for i7-5775C

Weeth

Gawd
As I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for Intel to pull it's thumb out of its collective butt and turn the LGA Broadwell vapor launch into a real one with shipping silicon, so I might as well start looking at the motherboard options. It's a fully silent build with no moving parts at all, so no video card (I'm buying it so I can run the Iris 6200), and I'm not even putting an optical drive into it. Just going with a single SSD and 32GB low profile RAM. That's it. It's not a gaming rig but a basic personal workstation therefore I don't need to go with a ROG Rampage Extreme or anything like that. Just a reasonably priced capable board. I generally prefer Asus or Gigabyte and want a graphical BIOS. On the subject of BIOS, naturally I need it to have a version available that runs the i7-5775C. Suggestions are welcomed!

While I don't have any motherboard suggestions, this sounds interesting and I hope you will post updates as the project progresses. It sounds like you decided the extra cache, threads and clock speeds are worth some premium over the i5-5600 series. Do you intend to look specifically for low-voltage memory? Will you choose a case or a motherboard first?

You mean Mini ITX?

Sorry about that, I was intending to state the Minimum MicroATX form factor (171.45 mm. x 171.45 mm. or 6.9 inches x 6.9 inches) and I abbreviated it to MiniATX. However, that is not necessarily a firm requirement as I could readily go with a Standard MicroATX (305 mm. x 244 mm. or 12 inches x 9.6 inches) as it's going to be a custom case anyway.

While I don't have any motherboard suggestions, this sounds interesting and I hope you will post updates as the project progresses. It sounds like you decided the extra cache, threads and clock speeds are worth some premium over the i5-5600 series. Do you intend to look specifically for low-voltage memory? Will you choose a case or a motherboard first?

Sure, I'll start a thread in Worklogs when I start collecting the components. Everything is on hold until the i7-5775C finally starts its delayed shipping but we live in hope. I definitely want the HT so I'm going for the top LGA Broadwell. The motherboard will come first and the RAM only needs to be low profile to clear the whopper air CPU cooler. Thanks!

Have you looked at fanlesstech dot com? They have interesting build ideas. I am engaging like this because I am hoping I can learn something from your experience.
RAM only needs to be low profile to clear the whopper air CPU cooler. Thanks!
I only brought this up because the Intel specs seem to specify DDR3L. When I went to Fry's in the RAM department and asked them for 1.35 V sticks a year ago, they had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe that was my fault.

Have you looked at fanlesstech dot com? They have interesting build ideas. I am engaging like this because I am hoping I can learn something from your experience.

I only brought this up because the Intel specs seem to specify DDR3L. When I went to Fry's in the RAM department and asked them for 1.35 V sticks a year ago, they had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe that was my fault.

Yes, I regularly check sites like that and quietpc, etc. My case for this system is going to be very basic. Right now I'm thinking that it's going to be little more than a 5 sided acrylic box or I may build it into my desk. Still working that one out.

The problem with DDR3L is that I can't seem to find any low profile versions. I've read that you can use DDR3 with Broadwell as long as you don't mix it with L versions. If that's the case, then it's great. If not, I'm in real trouble.

I will definitely let you know when I start the Worklog as I'm looking forward to this build.

Sorry for the double post but I've got the choice more or less cut down to:

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H or an ASUS Z97M-Plus

However, I have to do some hard calculations on the clearance as both place the socket very close to the backplate and I don't think that my air cooler is going to clear it. I might have to go with a regular ATX board with more room around the socket.

What I was intending to try had I gone ahead with a Broadwell build (won't be now, has taken too long to get into the market) was either:

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (Very Low Profile) - 1600 mhz, 1.35V, 9-9-9-24 - 18mm height (lower than DIMM retention clips height)
Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP (Low Profile) - 1600mhz, 1.35V, 8-8-8-24 - 25mm height

You can buy 32gb (4x8GB) or 16GB (2x8GB) kits of each if you so choose.

What I was intending to try had I gone ahead with a Broadwell build (won't be now, has taken too long to get into the market) was either:

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (Very Low Profile) - 1600 mhz, 1.35V, 9-9-9-24 - 18mm height (lower than DIMM retention clips height)
Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP (Low Profile) - 1600mhz, 1.35V, 8-8-8-24 - 25mm height

You can buy 32gb (4x8GB) or 16GB (2x8GB) kits of each if you so choose.

I had been checking NewEgg under DDR3L and these were not coming up, but they're definitely there. Good price too. I have no problem with 25mm sticks fitting under the cooler so the Tactical it will be. Thanks for the tip!

According to this photo (Google Translate refused to translate this page so I can't be 100% certain) it should confirm that the LGA Broadwells are for sale in Japan as of a couple of days ago:

Japan Sale Prices

Now all we have to do is to get them available on this side of the big Pacific Blob. I certainly don't blame you for giving up on this launch. It's more ridiculously delayed than any Intel launch in memory.

Back