Suggestions for IPS

grkazan11

n00b
Okay so recently I've gotten sick of using my TN display because of the color inaccuracy. I've been researching IPS displays for the past couple of days. I do like the catleap monitors, but not sure if I should go with 23' to get better FPS for gaming. I do like the 27' catleap, but I know I can't run my games at that insanely high resolution, or will scaling for 1080p look fine.

Sorry for rambling on, should I just settle for a 23 or 24 ultrasharp or get a catleap?

What graphics card do you have? It will impact if you can run the 27" ips displays resolution at a decent framerate.

I have a nvidia GTX 570 w/ I think 1.2 or 1.3 gb of VRAM. I like to play FPSs like BF3 and things like GTA IV.

I'm sure you can run most games with a GTX 570 on a 1440p monitor, you might have to turn down the eye candy a little bit in shooters or high gfx games but the massive increase in resolution will make everything look sharper & you'll have more space for work related tasks.

I'd go with the Auria from Microcenter if you're leery about overseas transactions and warranty claims, you can buy it off their site for $399. The 23-24 ultrasharps are ~$300 new so I'd definately spring for the 27", you wont be sorry!

AURIA EQ276W 27" LED Monitor -- $399
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

Going by your post, it seems that you fall into the same category as myself and a few others here; you want the size of 27", but the lower GPU overhead of 1080p as opposed to 1440p. You do have options. Here's what I would recommend looking at, depending on your tastes. Yes, I'm recommending a TN panel as an option. It's one of the better ones.

TN: Samsung S27B550v

Colors and viewing angles seem to be better than your typical TN. Side by side, the 23" version and a 23" LG IPS in Best Buy, I'd take the Samsung. Better colors, and white was white, not smokers-teeth yellow. Between the Series 3, 5, 7, and 8, this is the only Samsung without backlight bleed issues. Speakers/DAC suck and become near useless if you turn down the brightness, which means the cheaper Series-3 version of this monitor should be the obvious choice, except that sucker has BLB issues. Head to Best Buy and view this monitor, it may change your mind on TN panels. It's on sale for $329 on Newegg every 2-3 weeks.

VA: Samsung S27A650D

Only thing not to like on this is the 8ms advertised response time. If you're sensitive to ghosting, avoid this one. Otherwise, the 8-bit VA panel, semi-gloss screen, better-than-TN viewing angles, and the stand are to die for. If you're not sensitive to ghosting, this is probably the best 1080p panel for $400 or less, today.

IPS: LG IPS277L

Not released yet so price is unknown. The rumored $299 price for the 27" worries me, as that's cheaper than their own 27" TN panels. I'd question the quality at that point. Follow the linked thread as it's likely coming out in the 2nd half of August. Upon release, it will be the only 27", 1080p IPS monitor that I know of.

EDIT: 1080p scaled to 1440p on a 27" 1440p monitor will look worse than 1080p on a native 1080p monitor. It's just the nature of trying to fit an amount of pixels into another amount that is not an even multiple. If 1080p scaling is a concern, stick with a 1080p monitor. A 1440p monitor is like a super model, higher maintenance (needs a more powerful GPU), but SO much easier to look at :) I'm cheap, so I went the 1080p route. You still have the option though, so pick what works best for you. If you decide on 1080p, go with one of my above recommendations.

Last edited:
I have a HP LP2475, which is an older model, there's a Z-titled newer model, this is a great panel, and the price is reasonable for an IPS panel

Back