Suggestions for good low cost projector..

joemama

[H]F Junkie
I have most of the hardware for my near future HTPC finalized and at the moment my 27 inch Wega will be the centerpiece but I would like to try a projector to see if I like it. This will be for an apartment with a fairly large living area considering it's a one bedroom (tv is 7 feet from couch, chair) but I don't need a huge screen. I know next to nothing about projectors but I would like to try one for a large white wall and see if it's something I could live with. Any suggestions for low cost, fairly good quality projection units?

Read the Sub-$3500 Projectors section of the AVSForum.com, there is a lot of knowledge to be had there. Some basic questions you're going to have to answer before anyone can suggest one:

1) What would you watch most often? (ie. DVDs, Standard Def TV, HDTV, play console games, play computer game)

2) What is your price range?

3) Can you detect rainbows and if so, how intensely? (rainbows are an artifact caused by DLP projectors, more on this at the AVSforum)

as m0tion kind of alluded too.

what is your budget?

Is your movie watching room totally light controlled or no?

Disregard the rainbow thing for now as you will not understand until you read up what rainbow artifacting is. :) Of course this is a catch 22. Once you know what it is. You might start looking for it on purpose ;)

I was hoping for something in the $500 range just to try out....I don't want a huge investment in something that I won't use. Used would be fine but I'm more interested in what units are considered decent without shelling out 2k+...

edit- this will be mostly for dvd's and some digital cable. (maybe HD in the future) Games will still be on the crt or computer. There is one large window but I have blinds that can make it nearly dark for most times of day.

A better idea would be to purchase a projector from a local store with a good return policy (ie. Best Buy). For $500 the best you will get is a used LCD projector with a very poor contrast ratio. The very least I would concider entering the projector market with is $900, you can get an Infocus X1 or Sanyo PLV-Z1 for that amount, less used, and many people have been happy with those. As far as I know most Best Buy's still carry the Infocus X1, a very popular 4:3 800x600 DLP projector. Don't waste your money on a $500 projector.

On second thought, I can't recommend you purchasing anything without gaining more knowledge about projectors in general. Goto the AVS forum and read the threads in the Sub-$3500 Projector section, then you won't need my advice.

I have the Infocus X1 and its a very nice projector for the money. You will be hard pressed to find anything cheaper that is worth watching.

As for the Rainbow issue I think that it is blown out of proportion. I have had upwards of 60 people over to watch movies at my place since I got my projector and I have only had 1 person mention the rainbows and he only knew about them because he had read about them on a website.

The only time I have seen a rainbow is if there is Black movement on a white screen and I am shaking my head back and forth. Now since I don't shake my head back and forth while I watch movies, it is not an issue for me.

Spud

To even consider a projector you need to consider the following...

--are you using it for movies and TV only? I think the projector would be a bit much to use as you primary display on your HDPC.

--how bright does your room get? Would you be able to make it dark? Low cost projectors don't work well in day light and it is even a good idea to paint the room its in darker.

--buying used isn't really an option unless you can get it extremely cheap because I doubt a used projector comes with a decent bulb assuming its bulb can be replaced. Bulbs are expensive.

People with projectors as TV's or just to watch movies are my heros. :cool:

From what I've been reading the Infocus X1 makes for a good starter projector but it goes for $1000.

It was originally $1000 but is dropping especially with the introduction of the X2 and 4805 projectors. Right now it can easily be found at sub $900 levels, decent start projector for sure.

Bighitter said:
It was originally $1000 but is dropping especially with the introduction of the X2 and 4805 projectors. Right now it can easily be found at sub $900 levels, decent start projector for sure.

Thought it was originally $1600? Then it dropped to $1000 6 months later to compete with the epson powerlite.

i've been contemplating on getting this projector....by going by the specs alone, it seems to be a pretty good deal, and has one of the highest contrast ratios of most any sub-$1000 projector that i've seen. i know that the CR is not the only aspect to a good projector, but it definitely doesn't hurt....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-046&depa=1

but before you buy anything, i would highly recommend what others have said, visit the AVS forums and get some opinions about it...i'm sure that at least a few people over there have had experience with this projector

Nem said:
Thought it was originally $1600? Then it dropped to $1000 6 months later to compete with the epson powerlite.

Oh it is possible, I never even really looked at them until I started looking for my new theater and by then they were already $1000 and could be had during specials for $900.

The X1's have been hovering around $750 if you watch for sales. They were just $733 this week. Wait a little bit for another dell deal to roll around and pick one up.

I bought a refurbed compaq mp1200 at ecost.com for around $750
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_spec.cfm?part_id=1790

It is native XGA and has 2000 hour lamp life. Technically, not as bright (1000 Lumens, 400:1) as some others, but awesome image quality, and great for gaming (no LCD ghosting).

My only complaint is that it has a fairly noticiable green tinge when using the component input - could be the DVD or the cable I'm using... won't matter though as I soon hope to use DVI.

Scott

Back