Suggestions for folder syncing software?

TC10284

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for an app (free preferably) that can sync files to a network drive if they are changed, or run the sync on a schedule after work hours.
I'd rather the files be in their original format instead of placed in a zip file or some other file.

Is there such a program as this?

without doing any research, I know a few people at work that use ViceVersa and seem to like it. It is not free though.

Sync Toy 2.0 seems to work at times but easily get corrupted or the sync file no longer works for me.

I get errors like "Excpetion during preview: Sync Toy cannot acces its internal metadata file in one of the folders bineg sychronized."
The syn folder is in the main root of the sub-folder I am trying to sync.

The folder is 58GB with 22,500 files.

Just installed Allway Sync on my USB hard drive and it's pretty nice.

Just so you know, if you use it too much, it will stop auto-syncing telling you you are using it too much for free. You can manually sync though.........and if you cut back on the usage, it will start to auto-sync again.

xenios said:
without doing any research, I know a few people at work that use ViceVersa and seem to like it. It is not free though.

They do have a free version, however it does lack some features of the paid versions: ViceVersa Free

I know a lot of people like SyncToy but I read that a previous version had issues with corruption like calikool pointed out.

PureSync

SyncBack

Toucan

QuickShadow Backup

Comodo Backup

And my current personal favorite, File Synchronizer. I only wish it was available in a portable version like FreeFileSync and Toucan.

Be aware that the features between these programs can vary quite a bit (some don't support scheduled sync operations, some can't copy files that are open or in use, others don't track changes very well, etc.). I suggest trying a few to see which one(s) work best for your purposes.

I looked at a couple of the options mentioned here, but didn't find one with something I needed. Any suggestions?

I need a sync program that will backup one folder to another but not start the process until the files stop growing and are completed. I do some security video and while it's recording (motion detection), the video is actively growing. My standby program Second Copy starts the process immediately upon finding a "new" file in the folder, which fails because it is in use.

There are other programs I could use to monitor the folder and after some activity fire off a command-line sync, but it's not very seamless and I've had problems with that. I am not a coder, but I know it is possible to watch for files to stop growing and wait a few seconds after that is done. A program called DirMon does this. The first sync app I find that incorporates similar technology will get my money.

robocopy C:\SourceDirectory \\AnotherServer\SharedDestDirectory /MIR /R:1 /W:1 /MT

Save that to a batch file. Use task scheduler to run it nightly.

robocopy C:\SourceDirectory \\AnotherServer\SharedDestDirectory /MIR /R:1 /W:1 /MT

Save that to a batch file. Use task scheduler to run it nightly.

This will have it watch a folder and copy files within seconds? (Didn't look up the CLI options yet, just askin')

Within seconds of robocopy starting, yes. It starts at the scheduled time. If that doesn't appeal to you, use the two switches I posted.

Back