Suggestions for Educational Apps for the Ipad?

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 18mo old who is obsessed with my ipad2. He knows that he can get the icons to go back and fourth by moving his hand/fingers left and the right... but I haven't been able to find any decent apps that will help him develop better motor skills.

Just looking for some apps that he may find enjoyable while learning along the way.

My nephew loves the iPad. I have yet to run across something that works well for him. I tried the mathaliens game, but all he likes to do it hit the spaceship at the main menu and watch it disappear and say "Weee!" I would love an app that just has six or eight icons on the screen and makes the animal sounds and says the name of them.

One thing that you will need once you find a game that works is have it jailbroken and install IncarcerApp so you can disable the home button. My nephew loves to hit the homebutton.

There are a number of apps that would fit what you guys are looking for, but I can't remember their names. My gf used to use my ipad in her classroom but I left it somewhere on Monday. Hopefully it's still in one of the computer labs but chances are it's gone...

If you open up apps in iTunes you'll be able to see all your apps. That assumes you sync with iTunes.

SoundTouch is exactly as you've described, Dew.

My daughter (turning 16 months today) loves Pocket Pond, Old Mac HD, and iCanDrum

A few books we read her on the iPad (interactive books) are FoodFight and Teddy's Day.

I can't get incarcerapp to work for the life of me. I thought maybe it was backgrounder interfering but after uninstalling it, i still have issues.

It will work flawlessly on the first app i open, but even if i don't use incarcerapp on it, after closing the first app it will freeze up the ipad. any icon i click after that will darken for about half a second and then just go back to normal. i can't access my multitasking tray or turn it off. i end up holding home and power to restart it which is a major pain.

any suggestions?

ps - hi this is my first post...i stumbled across this while looking for incarcerapp info ;)

SoundTouch is exactly as you've described, Dew.

My daughter (turning 16 months today) loves Pocket Pond, Old Mac HD, and iCanDrum

A few books we read her on the iPad (interactive books) are FoodFight and Teddy's Day.

I can't get incarcerapp to work for the life of me. I thought maybe it was backgrounder interfering but after uninstalling it, i still have issues.

It will work flawlessly on the first app i open, but even if i don't use incarcerapp on it, after closing the first app it will freeze up the ipad. any icon i click after that will darken for about half a second and then just go back to normal. i can't access my multitasking tray or turn it off. i end up holding home and power to restart it which is a major pain.

any suggestions?

ps - hi this is my first post...i stumbled across this while looking for incarcerapp info ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll see how he likes them. BTW, which Old Mac HD? There are five of them, none free.

As for IncarcerApp, sounds like you have some other problems. I have had zero issues running on 4.2.1. It could be an incompatibility with 4.3.x if you are running that. Otherwise, I would suggest wiping and starting over as the only realistic solution.

Last edited:
i'm actually running 4.2.1 as well :(

are you using backgrounder?

as far as old mac hd, it's the one that says "new" and has a picture of a cow with spots behind it. that one's not the best though, don't remember how much it was...worth a buck, two tops. soundtouch is GREAT though.

just did a full restore, only installed incarcerapp...and it's doing the same as it was before :( this is frustrating now.

As much as I love tech, if you really want to develop his motor skills put him on the floor and play games with him that involve a ball or some other object. Technology is great but is it really necessary for 1 year olds?
Get them outside and play with them.

As much as I love tech, if you really want to develop his motor skills put him on the floor and play games with him that involve a ball or some other object. Technology is great but is it really necessary for 1 year olds?

I agree with this.

there are many, many ways to stimulate a baby's mind...just because you didn't have an ipad when you were a kid doesn't mean we shouldn't take advantage of things that will help with not only motor skills but memorization and picture/sound correlation...

i'm not saying drop the kid in their crib with the ipad and go drink a latte, but any kind of mind stimulation is great. i see no problem with parents embracing technology as long as it's not in the form of giving their kid 10 episodes of Dora to watch and calling it parenting.

there are many, many ways to stimulate a baby's mind...just because you didn't have an ipad when you were a kid doesn't mean we shouldn't take advantage of things that will help with not only motor skills but memorization and picture/sound correlation...

i'm not saying drop the kid in their crib with the ipad and go drink a latte, but any kind of mind stimulation is great. i see no problem with parents embracing technology as long as it's not in the form of giving their kid 10 episodes of Dora to watch and calling it parenting.

The OP specifically said "improving motor skills." Stimulating the brain on tech is perfectly acceptable but if you want to improve motor skills, hand/eye coordination then I say get outside and PLAY!

OP didn't say he was going to regiment the kid on 18 hours a day of iPad. It's called car rides and rainy days.

Back