Suggestions for dedicated hosting?

T. Whatley

Weaksauce
Any suggestions for dedicated hosting at <$200/month?

Main focuses are ssd's for drives and using standard i7, non-xeon, cpu's. With that said, I have nothing against xeon cpu's but am looking to maximize performace and haven't had any issue with non-xeon cpu's hosting this myself at home for the last few years.

Bandwidth usage is light. Heavy db activity, but it just interfaces through a restful api so that actual traffic over the wire is minimized.

There's a sticky in this forum that lists hosts.

Some of your comments do suggest a lack of familiarity of server-grade hardware, which seems irrelevant when going with a dedicated host. Your concern should be more toward ensuring realized performance versus the required demands, or, more succinctly, "it works or it doesn't". If it is insufficient, then upgrade your plan; worst case, fin another host. However, if you have a legitimate need for specific hardware, then buy your own hardware and choose a CoLo option.

Regardless of whatever path you choose, ensure you have proper server-side tools gathering metrics on database transactions, hardware instrumentation, trace analysis for identifying commonly executed code, execution timeframes, etc.

Yep. I looked. Half of it is geared towards small-time personal hosting and the other half is garbage.

I have looked into colo and have one lined up, for 200/mo, but figured I'd see what other options may be out there.

The original query of this thread was for hosting comments, not monitoring comments. Thank you.

Yep. I looked. Half of it is geared towards small-time personal hosting and the other half is garbage.

I have looked into colo and have one lined up, for 200/mo, but figured I'd see what other options may be out there.
So you do have some requirements and pre-requisites. What are they?

The original query of this thread was for hosting comments, not monitoring comments. Thank you.
The original query mentioned maximizing performance, which requires monitoring over time. If you already have tools vetted and tested, then my comments could have already been addressed -- but without knowing this, they are certainly inline with the thread's topic and statements.

Rackspace. At my last job we developed an application for a major automotive supplier that had rather strict security requirements(which our datacenter didn't meet). We ended up getting a dedicated plan from rackspace to host the application for them... no issues.

Wanting a standard i7 over a xeon is pointless. Everyone in the hosting world uses xeon. Not to mention the xeon will do anything the i7 can do.

https://billing.eoreality.net/dedicated-server
http://losangelesdedicated.net/dedicated-servers/

I guess that's where I had an incorrect assumption... I thought I remember reading that clock speed played a large role in db power. In other words, overclocking a k series cpu increases what I can get from a xeon.

I understand that everyone in the hosting world uses xeon, but I also assumed it was more because of the higher reliability in lieu of the absolute best performance. Am I way off there? (I could be.. legitimate question... hardware isn't my area.)

Basically, I run several SaaS app's that have join tables consisting of several hundred million rows queried approximately 20k times a day. The performance I currently get from the wsrv in my sig has those queries all returning at less than <50ms, which I'm happy with.... All I really care about is making sure that I don't lose any of that performance if I "step down" from a oc'd 3770k to a lower clock speed xeon.

I see the extra clock speed come in use during stat and index rebuilds, but that's a several minute process... I'm not sure how much it applies to fast db queries.

Yes overclocking has it's place, but hosting anything on an overclocked system, without ECC is just reckless. I bet you 'save' money on backups too :rolleyes:

Trust me, there is nothing fun about a flaky server. To increase the odds of trouble is beyond me, especially to try and save a few milliseconds...

I want to overclock my dedicated server with consumer level hardware and heavy db load! What could go wrong?!

I guess that's where I had an incorrect assumption... I thought I remember reading that clock speed played a large role in db power. In other words, overclocking a k series cpu increases what I can get from a xeon.

I understand that everyone in the hosting world uses xeon, but I also assumed it was more because of the higher reliability in lieu of the absolute best performance. Am I way off there? (I could be.. legitimate question... hardware isn't my area.)

Basically, I run several SaaS app's that have join tables consisting of several hundred million rows queried approximately 20k times a day. The performance I currently get from the wsrv in my sig has those queries all returning at less than <50ms, which I'm happy with.... All I really care about is making sure that I don't lose any of that performance if I "step down" from a oc'd 3770k to a lower clock speed xeon.

I see the extra clock speed come in use during stat and index rebuilds, but that's a several minute process... I'm not sure how much it applies to fast db queries.

This is something you wont be able to do with a server your renting unless your co-locating. Hit up eoreality. I know for a fact hes running 3+GHz Xeons because he also sells gameservers on the side which demand a high GHz.
Here are his server specs https://billing.eoreality.net/dedicated-server and here is a comparison of the CPUs he has and the 3770K http://ark.intel.com/compare/65727,75054,65523

This is something you wont be able to do with a server your renting unless your co-locating. Hit up eoreality. I know for a fact hes running 3+GHz Xeons because he also sells gameservers on the side which demand a high GHz.
Here are his server specs https://billing.eoreality.net/dedicated-server and here is a comparison of the CPUs he has and the 3770K http://ark.intel.com/compare/65727,75054,65523

Appreciate it.. I did see them as the only viable option from a link in a previous message, but fortunately I can locally colo with pair.com at quite a bit of a cheaper rate.

Trust me, there is nothing fun about a flaky server. To increase the odds of trouble is beyond me, especially to try and save a few milliseconds...

That's why I'd like to see some sort of numbers. Maybe it isn't a few ms going from 4.5 to 3.2 ghz?

Last edited:
Back