• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions for cooling Q9550

jimbo6846

Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
700
I'm shortly going to be building a new system and am looking for advice for the CPU cooler. I will be getting a Q9550 and an Asus P5Q Deluxe, and I would like to try to OC the system to 3.6Ghz or as close to as possible. So, basically I'm wondering if this is possible on Air Cooling, and if so, are there any suggestions as to what cooling solution(s) I should look into?

All suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.
 
I Have Had A Good Experience With The Xigmatek S-1283 With Ultra Kaze Fan If You Get The Fan Get A Back Plate
 
I'm putting a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on my Q9550. Should have more than enough headroom for you to hit 3.6GHz. You could also go with an OCZ Vendetta 2, which is slightly better. There's also the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, but it's a lot more expensive and you'd have to buy a separate fan as well.
 
I'm doing an AC Freezer Pro7 (it was free :)). I ordered a Thermalright backplate kit, and I'll see how it goes early this next week. I hope it's enough. If not, I'm thinking of going to a Thermalright IFX 14 as my cooler is the only fan in my system currently <140mm.
 
I would definitely go with a zalman 9700. Those things are pretty and flawless imho

Unfortunately (or fortunate, depending on your side of the fence) the Zalman's are no longer top tier. The newer sinks are far better, and quieter at relative performance. I hope Zalman gets back up top, though, as I've had good luck with their past products.
 
If you have plenty of room in your case I would either recommend the TRUE or the Tuniq Tower 120. Either are very good coolers. Yes they are big but they provide great cooling. A friend has the True on his quad and his idles at room temps and even OC. But it doesn't hit above 50 when stress testing it. I have the Tuniq Tower on a C2D OC to 3.0 and mine idles about room temp being 20C and when i'm gaming it might hit 40C. Both are great coolers and it might be good to consider them.
 
My true held down temps on my q6600 all the way up to 1.55v. But now that i'm on water i can run as high as 1.6v without worrying about temps.

Also, when are the e0 9550s due out?
 
Ok. My opinion only.

Cooling is way over-rated for 45nm. You don't get the heat of the old 65nm. Sure, it may run cooler, but if it's already below tolerance, who cares? Why spend $70+ for 5c? I get the same o/c with the intel stock cooler than with Xigmatek. Sure it runs a bit cooler.... so what? Still well within it's limits.

My 2 cents.
 
Cooling is way over-rated for 45nm. You don't get the heat of the old 65nm.

The 45nm C2Ds put out just as much heat as the 65nms when overclocked to their limits. The only difference is that their limits are higher.
 
The 9700 is an absolute ripoff. The Xigmatek runs circles around it and is barely more than half the price (I bought mine for less than half after rebate).
 
I love my Zalman 9700 with my 9550, keeps my oc'd cores cool at 37 idle. Although, I'm not one bit a cooling enthusiast so im sure there are far better ones out there at cheaper price. I think it looks kewl though :p
 
Zalman 9700 is definitely one of the best looking air solutions. If you can sacrifice a few degrees, let's say compared to a TRUE (and a few others), you will not regret getting this. Build quality is fantastic and the base is pre-mirror finished for optimal contact with the cpu.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-9700NT

This version is the PWM fan version that has the four pin connector. The copper version is the 3 pin version that will not automatically adjust its fan speed.

As for putting this with a 45nm quad... probably not as effective as combining with a TRUE but it will still hold its own. Should be ok with the Zalman at 3.6ghz. If you're going to push 4ghz, then I would recommend something that performs a bit better like the TRUE. You'll have to provide the fan though.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulex.html
 
Back
Top