Suggestions for building a silent server

Shadowman9876

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 19, 2003
Messages
220
I want to build a server for my house, but it would need to go in my room, so it would need to be perfectly silent. I would also like it to be Micro-ATX so it wont take up too much space. I was thinking something simple, like a cheap Athlon, not like a Barton or anything, and 256 mb of ram, and a sizeable hard drive. I need some suggestions for a Micro-ATX case for it. I found a nice Antec one but it only supports 1 40mm fan and I dont think that would provide enough cooling and would be pretty loud. What do you guys think in terms of this case, or other cases and how to quiet them down?
 
whats it to be used for? file server? game server? web hosting? firewall/router or something like that? combo?
 
if its not going to be doing intensive work, an epia would work well. Its silent (most modles are passively cooled) and very very small.

Other than that, just design a system to do what you want, get a silent PSU and a nice zalman heatsink to go with it. get some quite fans for the back of the case and add some dynamat if you want it to be dead silent.
 
Originally posted by homIcIde
whats it to be used for? file server? game server? web hosting? firewall/router or something like that? combo?

It will be a file server, nothing intensive or anything, just a place to store some stuff
 
AMD should be good and cheap. The new Antec Sonata is supposed to be a really quiet case with a single 120mm fan thats speed is adjusted via the PS depending on temperature. Get a nice 80gb WD hard drive, quiet and lots of storage. The stock AMD heatsink can be very quiet and is cheap to boot. If that doesn't work for you then Zalman has some nice heatsink/fans for silence. If possible get a motherboard that has a passive heatsink on the northbridge along with a heatsink only video card.
 
Back
Top