• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions for a small time server host?

rise2mcr

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
49
Ok [H] I am hoping you can help me out here. I host a couple of game servers, and Shout cast servers. I am looking to replace a Switch i have, with a 10 - 20 port Managed switch. with Managed switches, as in web interface, what can be accessed in them normally? Should i get a firewall? With firewalls, do i open the ports on them, through a WebUI like i would with my router? Thank you in advance [H]!
 
If you are hosting servers, i would highly recommend a firewall.

gui configurations usually allow you to configure anything you would on a command line, however, i personally prefer command line configuration. i know cisco and foundry switches provide gui's, however i never really used them. i don't really have much experience with the lesser-known brands of switches to be able to say whether they provide a gui or not.
 
Ok. Thank you! could anyone suggest a firewall that you reccomend? And or a switch? Thank you in advance.
 
Depends on how much money you are wanting to spend. If you have a few thousand dollars I would say go buy a Cisco ASA5505 for the firewall and a nice 2960 switch for your servers. :)

If you have a few hundred to spend then I would look at a used 2950 switch and building a good open-source firewall like endian or that other one that's based on BSD whose new eludes me at the moment. . . .

 
Are you hosting these at a data center? Or from your home?
Without question I'd have the servers behind NAT. Putting a server on a public IP address without NAT....you need to do a lot to learn how to lock it down, and even then..you're a bit at risk.

For optimal performance....forget looking at any home grade router that's below 200 bucks...running a couple of servers with at least 20 players....a home grade router will be a performance bottleneck under load.

Bang for the buck you can't beat the performance a linux distro router will give you, such as IPCop..stuck on a mid-range P3 or higher with 512 megs...it won't be your bottleneck. It'll give you the NAT that you need, and allow you do to the port forwarding.

As for a managed switch....I wouldn't see why you'd want one. If the servers are behind NAT and locked down properly with only the bare minimum ports open/forwarded for your game services to be publically avail, you should be fine.

If you're co-locating these servers at a data center..they normally provide you with these options on their equipment though.
 
Thank you, for All of your suggestions. First, to answer YeOldStonecat, im hosting these from my home. my only problem here is, i have the default Verizon FIOS router.. i have seen guides on dslreport, to bridge the connection of the FIOS router, to the router of your choice, do you still reccomend an IPCOP router? And, do you know of anywhere i could buy an old p3 with 512 RAM? Besides the local stores and stuff? Because, i haven't seen them latelly. As for my budget, Captain Colonscopy, i have roughly, $1500 to spend on upgrading my network. Sorry to veer off-topic with this, but i was approached with a question i wasnt really informed to answer, what kind of APC's / UPS's would i get for 6-7 Tower servers? Thank you So much everyone! you've been a great help!
 
It just so happens that I have a P3-933 with 256MB of RAM that I could send your way for $50 shipped. Nifty little SFF desktop box, you'd have to get another NIC for it though, a low-profile one. I am using one of these same boxes to run endian at my house. You would probably want to run IPCop or Monowall on yours though. I would imagine you don't want to run proxies and crap like that.

As for UPS, I would go with APC or TrippLite. TrippLite is usually cheaper. If you have 5-6 tower servers I would recommend at least 2x 3000va UPS. That should get you 10-15 minutes run-time before total power failure. Maybe. :)

 
Sure, not a problem. If you are interested in that P3 just send me a PM. I have a bunch of them sitting around that I rescued from a guy that was just going to throw them all into a dumpster.

 
Back
Top