• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggestions for a new HDD

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
293
It looks like my Seagate 3TB is failing (twice hasn't shown up in directory, slow read times, etc) so I'm looking for a new drive. I currently use a 240gb ssd for boot and important programs with some games on them, but it's at full capacity. I'm pretty disappointed as this thing barely lasted a year so I'm looking to not buy another Seagate drive.

I would like to have at least a 2TB drive for my games, music, movies, and other files/programs. Doing a quick look on pcpartpicker Toshiba and Hitachi variants offer the lowest price/gb. What would the [H]ard community deem the best value (price & reliability) for a 2TB+ drive?
 
The 5TB Toshiba is the best value @ ~$140 on sale.

Remember that any drive can fail at any time (no matter how much you pay for it or how much you use the drive or who made the drive). With that said HGST drives seem to be the most reliable. If you care about your data you need to always have a backup or better yet at least 2 with one being offsite.
 
Last edited:
Hitachi or WD. I am a great fan of WD Green 6TB series. Silent, huge, relatively cheap (for a 6TB) and pretty fast for a 5400rpm disk (175MB/s).
 
Back
Top