suggestions for a network tap

amrogers3

Gawd
Been trying to find a network tap but they seem to be prohibitively expensive. I am running a 1G network with low traffic. I can downgrade to 10/100 if I can find a decently priced tap. I am trying to analyze traffic via Security Onion and need a tap because SO doesn't support inline networking.

I checked out Dualcomm which appeared to have more reasonable prices but it appears to act more as a glorified switch than a tap.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
For such low bandwidth why not just use port spanning? As for the glorified switch statement; that's all a copper tap is, basically a store and forward switch except instead of coping the data to the forwarding port it is copied to the forwarding port and the tap port. Everything else on pricey ports is gravy. Fiber taps are different animals that we are not discussing here.

I second the SPAN option. what switches do you use? TAPs are great when you need them, but they are not scalable IMO, especially when you get into fabric-based networks.

Hi berky, what switch do you recommend for small home network. I don't need anything too fancy or expensive. Just something that works.

Depends on what you're looking to accomplish. for something that supports SPAN, you'll obviously need a managed switch. I don't have much experience with lower end switches, but you can usually find some older cisco switches for cheap on ebay if you want to go that route. Finding a cheap managed switch is very tough, especially gigabit switches. if you're ok with the 10/100 variety, your best bet might be something off ebay. Just be aware that going that route you aren't likely going to get new code depending on the switch. I also found these based on another message board doing a quick search: RouterBoard.com : Products -- apparently port mirroring can be configured, but verify that before you buy anything.

Not sure if that helps at all, but just check all options and features

I'm personally waiting to upgrade my switch until I can find some cheap SDN hardware.

Back