Suggestions for 1st game on new rig?

awwc

Limp Gawd
Check the stats below on the new 'puter.

I'm almost done with the build and I have yet to get a game for it. My previous desktop was a pristine (I'm laughing here) AMD athlon 2400 with 768 ram and an nvidia 5600xt

The last "gaming" rig is the laptop I'm using atm. 1.7Ghz Pentium M proc with 1Gb of 533mhz ram and a 256MB 6800 go card.

So as you can see, I should appreciate the new rig tremendously. I want to break it in nice and proper with my first game. Doesn't have to be the newest retail title, cause I haven't played anything cept WoW for the last two years.

I'm up for almost any genre. RTS, FPS, RPG.

Basically, any good title that would totally showcase my new power.

Thanks for any suggestions! (ps Stalker and SupCom are already on order..)

Excellent. I played morrowind when it came out and enjoyed it tremendously.

Anything else?

Eh, I was gonna make a list but then got bored. Just try Supreme Commander, Command And Conquer 3, Quake 4, Half Life 2, and others.

supreme commander is also a good one. cnc3 is pretty good. and uh...... iunno. bf2 :p

Get Fraps.

Play Command & Conquer 3.

Put everything on high.

Play a skirmish and drop a nuke.

A friend of mine said it was a humbling experience.

First Person Shooters
Half-Life 2 and Episode 1
Call of Duty 1 (with United Offensive expansion pack) and Call of Duty 2
Quake 4
Dark Messiah (provided they've worked out the bugs; they ruined the game for me)
Far Cry (although the story really craps out towards the end, I think it's still worth playing)
Counterstrike 1.6 and Source
Doom 3
F.E.A.R. w/expansion
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2
Max Payne 1 and 2 (third person shooters really, but so good)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Serious Sam 1 and 2 (mostly good for LAN Co-op multiplay)
Painkiller (Same as above)
Rainbow Six Vegas
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Chronicles of Riddick

Racing (sim or arcade; wheel/gamepad required)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and NFS: Carbon
GTR 1 and 2
GT: Legends
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally
Trackmania
Flatout 1/2
Live for Speed

RTS or turn based
Civilization 4
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne expansion
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War w/many expansions
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3
Total War series (any of the titles)
Empire Earth

RPG-ish
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Titan Quest (if you liked Diablo)
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Make sure to take advantage of mods like the BT Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2
Dreamfall - The Longest Journey

Miscellaneous

Psychonauts (should be played with a gamepad)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (should be played with a gamepad)
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, 2, 3 (skip the fourth installment; I thought it was abysmal compared to 3)
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas

Anything on this list of recent games you haven't played deserves to get some playtime on that new rig of yours.

Now that's a list. hehe

hah...I'm sure I missed plenty, but those are the more recent titles which do the best job of representing their respective genres. They're all excellent games, and well worth your time.

I'd suggest checking out reviews for any titles on that list that you haven't played, and selecting that way. Most of those titles are pretty cheap now too..

For RPG's dont forget to put Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Supposed to bring many systems to their knees.

The ones I really liked were Company of Heros, Stalker, Riddick, Doom3, Undying, and Savage.

Games with great eye candy and really fun to play:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Rainbow 6: Vegas
STALKER
Of course, Half-Life 2 and its follow-up Episode 1

definitely get Rainbow 6 Viva Las Vegas :p and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Both games take advantage of Shader Model V3.0, it will look beautiful. Also, Try out STALKER, game looks pretty good, and single player is really fun. Oblivion is a blast too, have to get some mods for it though.

MMOs aren't on that list.

Yeah I've been an MMO vet for years now. EQ/Planetside/WoW

I'm not gonna subject myself anymore. Although a MMO FPS is still very intriguing. If a dev team/publisher ever get it "right" I could very well bite.

Back