• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Suggestions - C2D E6600 + GPU

Trendy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
199
I'm looking to jump into the world of water cooling. I would love to get my CPU+GPU cooled down to really great levels, then overclock the hell out of them.

I need some suggestions though:

What would I need in terms of hardware for a liquid cooling system? Keeping in mind I've never done liquid cooling before.

How much would a decent system cost? (I have about a $200 limit)

Is there much risk involved with water cooling?
 
200 limit for both CPU and GPU? Thats a little too low.. $200 is barely enough for all the good components to cool just the CPU.

I posted this item list in another thread:

CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee GT
VGA Block - Swiftech MCW60 or if you have a 8800 you need a full cover block
Radiator - Swiftech MCR-220 + 4 Yate Loon 120mm fans
Pump - Swiftech MCP655

Tubing- 7/16 ID or 1/12 ID, your preference

Additive - Swiftech Hyrdx
T-Line or Resevoir - Dangerden Fillport / Swiftech MCRES

If you want to mount the radiator on the back of your case get a radbox.
Without the radbox it comes out to $242.00 (prices from jab-tech.com)
 
Well, it was $200 before I decided to wait a month or two before buying a new mobo and some ram, so about $300-350 would suite me well :)

Thanks for your suggestions.
 
I'll go with your suggestion, because after reading around it seems a bit easy to setup and not a horrible quality product.

I'm also interested, does the coolant make any difference? I was thinking about getting some UV lights and see there is UV reactive coolant, any idea if this is okay quality? How much coolant should I keep on hand? Do I have to change it often?
 
Hyrdx is actually UV reactive so you don't need to add any other dyes. I would get a few bottles of the Hyrdx since its pretty cheap. You can pre-mix the coolant and just keep it in a big container.

If you don't change your parts you can pretty much keep the coolant there for a long time because its a closed loop. But you should change it maybe every 6 months to remove any build up of gunk from your parts
 
Okay, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!

One more question, if I were going to do any significant overclocking, would it be a good idea to go ahead and get a waterblock for my chipset as well? And following the 1 cooled component to fan rule, should I get a 3xfan radiator if I get the chipset block?
 
Okay, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!

One more question, if I were going to do any significant overclocking, would it be a good idea to go ahead and get a waterblock for my chipset as well? And following the 1 cooled component to fan rule, should I get a 3xfan radiator if I get the chipset block?

Well, you've got a gigabyte board that's got a terrible NB HSF. so either, strap a fan to it, or get an MCW30 chipset block.
 
Back
Top